Thursday, September 22, 2011

A Great Book & a Perfect Pasta

I love it when the stars align and I get to use a new book to make an awesome dish.  This time, the spark came from a new purchase Pure Food by Christine Cushing that I bought in Toronto. Pure Food .. I  love Christine's view on food and having fun in the kitchen.  I've used her earlier book Fearless in the Kitchen to death... well not to death, because I'm still using it.  You can read my take on it here and my take on Pure Food, here.

Pure Food's recipe is called Farfalle with Zesty Shrimp, but I can never leave well enough alone - which is precisely what Christine wants us all to do in the kitchen.  So here's my version with chorizo, mushrooms and I actually used my special microplane to slice the garlic paper thin...so thin, it melts during cooking.


I'm sharing it with Presto Pasta Night, this week hosted by Tandy of Lavender & Lime and you can send your entries to  lavenderandlimeblog (at) gmail (dot)com and cc ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com by tonight if you want it included in this week's roundup .   No time to cook, then check out the results tomorrow.


What's the spark that grabs you in a book or magazine and what do you do with it?

5 comments:

Cyndi said...

Hi Ruth! Just popping in to tell you I've got your Italian Sausage/mushrooms/potatoes roast dish in the oven right now. We think it's one of the best ways EVER to have Italian Sausage.

As for a spark that grabs me - it's usually something decadent, that is either a main dish with some sort of creamy sauce, or a dessert - that sends me right to the store to get the ingredients I need to make it. And then, as I did with your recipe for the roasted dish I referred to above, I adjust it either size-wise or other to make it "mine." For example, your dish is now being made with only 2 sausages, but lots and lots of mushrooms. I used to use more potatoes, but we have to cut back on those, so we upped the mushrooms. I do the same with recipes from Pioneer Woman - find ways to make them mine but still yummy.

Ruth Daniels said...

Cyndi, glad to see you around and glad to know you're still loving the dish. Nothing better than owning a dish by adding something or other. Thanks for dropping by.

Cyndi said...

Oh my - I forgot to add the one thing that makes it really "mine." I dump in a basket of cherry tomatoes. They seem to melt right into the dish. Also, your chili is going to feed a group of hungry campers next month on a trip to the desert. Good to "see" you, too!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I love this combination of flavours :)

Joanne said...

I love having go-to cookbook authors or cookbooks that I know will not fail in getting a delicious dinner on the table! The chorizo sounds like an awesome addition to this!