Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Wintery Weather & Comforting Food


True...it's NOT winter yet and I personally am glad of that, but "wintery weather" just dances on your tongue, don't you think? The leaves are definitely changing colors...out of every window except the one that will give me a great view of the Halifax Harbor this winter. That huge tree is staying green longer than any of the others, clutching every leaf and resisting the approaching winter as long as possible.

The air is brisk, with frosted car windows in the mornings and even hearty Haligonians have put away the flip flops. Although I still see shorts around...as I said...a very hearty breed. I, on the other hand have already pulled out my warm angora gloves!

It is unquestionably time for slow cooking, for the scent of rich, body & soul warming foods as you walk through the door. So I decided to spend some time flipping through my cookbooks, magazines and, of course, on line for some recipes perfect for the season.

Here's a Curried Split Pea & Sweet Potato Soup recipe that I found at Whole Foods Market and put my own spin on (mostly because I had run out of some key ingredients...like vegetable broth. I thought I had enough of my home-made Roasted Vegetable Stock. Of course I didn't, so I used chicken broth. And onions...who could run out of onions? That would be me, but I did have shallots on hand, so I used those. And because we like rich pureed soups, I mashed the sweet potato once soft). It was definitely a hit with everyone and one soup I'll make often.


And the other night we had a twist on another favorite soup because I love leeks and mushrooms. In fact there are a couple of versions (okay the photo of the second is really the one I'm using for this adaptation, because we were all too hungry to wait for a photo shoot and no leftovers to capture afterward). My daughter Sharron liked it because it's a bit different than the usual milk-based leek & potato soups. My secret...well, check it out for yourself...

Leeks, Mushrooms, Spinach & Potato Soup

That's a mouthful of a title, but a delicious mouthful! Another wonderful thing about this soup...it only takes about 20 minutes to prepare.

You can find lots of other great wintery recipes in the Soup section of this blog.

Related Links:

3 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

Love the sound of the sweet potato soup. For some reason I've only recently realized I like sweet potatoes!

Ruth Daniels said...

I must admit that before South Beach Diet, I only liked them in my curried sweet potato latkes. http://onceuponafeast.blogspot.com/2005/12/holiday-greetings-and-another-feast.html

Anonymous said...

Oh how I wish it would be fall around here and I could enjoy some soups like that. I'll have to bookmark them and remember them when (if) we get cold. :)