Thursday, August 18, 2005
Leek, Mushroom & Spinach Soup - The Recipe
Leek, Mushroom & Spinach Soup
Hands-on time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
3 cups thinly sliced leeks, white part only (I used 6 small ones, but if you use the usual large ones probably 3 would do)
2 cups thinly sliced cremini mushrooms
1 tbsp olive or canola oil
6 cups, raw baby spinach
1 tbsp whole wheat flour (I know this is probably only okay in Phase Two, but I didn’t have any cauliflower – mashed should really thicken the soup just as well. I’ll try it out next week and edit this recipe). For those of you, who don’t care about the diet, use all purpose flour.
4 cups water
1 cup 1% milk
Salt & pepper to taste
Dash of Nutmeg for flavor
Chopped parsley for garnish
1. Steam the spinach (I do it in the microwave for 2 minutes, with 1 tbsp water). Squeeze out excess water and chop.
2. In the meantime, in a medium sized pot, sauté the mushrooms and leeks in oil over medium heat until the leeks are soft – 5-8 minutes. Add the spinach and toss.
3. Add the flour or mashed cauliflower, stir and cook for a couple of minutes, don’t let the flour burn.
4. Slowly add the water to avoid lumps. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil, stir and reduce the heat to simmer the soup for 15-20 minutes. (I must confess I also added a dash of sherry which would probably be okay for a later phase in the SB diet).
5. Add the milk, heat for a few minutes before serving. Taste for seasoning, garnish with parsley and serve.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes shrimp