Monday, April 23, 2007

All The Heavy Lifting Is Done

The garage sale was very successful. The weather was perfect - sunshine and more sunshine! That's my princess relaxing on Sunday.

The only things left are the lovely, gently worn couch and a double bed. If you know anyone in Toronto who's looking.... It's hard to see, but that's my cousin (and one of the terrific relatives who helped out this weekend) and the lovely Miss Coco (she drew in the crowds and is resting after all her hard work) sitting on the couch.

All the heavy lifting is done. Well, all but the two 50 pounds (22 kilos) I'm allowed to pack for my flight to Halifax on Thursday. Only a foodie will understand and appreciate that I will be taking as many spices and herbs as I can. I've given my vinegars, jams, oils and mustards to good homes here in Toronto. The last thing I want to unwrap is a swamp of broken bottles!

Now that the chaos is behind me and I have nothing to cook with, recipes will have to wait until I get to Halifax.

There's a song Maria sings to the children in The Sound of Music when they are frightened by the lightning and thunder. The intention is to take their mind off being afraid. It's called "These are a few of my favorite things", or at least, that's what I call it. And really, I'm not scared. Rather I'm excited and anxious to start a new chapter in my life. I know it will be a wonderful adventure and I can't wait to begin. That said, I am wistful about all the places and people I'll be leaving behind. Of course I'll be back for visits! I have lots of great friends and family here.

I know, too, that there are wonderful food experiences ahead. My favorite jellies comes from The Tangled Garden and that's just an hour's drive in the country from Halifax. Not to mention lobster, lobster and more lobster!

But for the next few days, I'll be writing about some of the foods, neighborhoods, shops and markets that I'll miss here in Toronto. And I have every intention of actually eating at One of a Kind Pasta, since I didn't get to do that last week. So stay tuned!

No comments: