Monday, May 6, 2013

Spring Has Sprung & Farmers Markets are Awesome


It's been forever since I've written, but I'm back.  I guess I was just waiting for Spring and all it brings...especially at the Farmers Markets.  True, I was hoping for fiddleheads and ramps in particular, but I'll have to wait a little longer.  In the meantime, here's my score from Halifax Seaport Market.

Lots of barbecuing in store with ground beef, flank steak and strip loin steaks from Getaway Farm Butchers, but first... because the closer the eating is to the catching... salmon.   Here's dinner...served with a glass of white wine on the balcony, because it's warm enough... cedar planked grilled salmon fillets from Sea Blooms glazed with Tangled Garden Ginger Lime Thyme Jelly and served over young Swiss chard sauteed in olive oil (I love that the distributor of this heavenly Tunisian oil is at the market) and Boates apple cider balsamic vinegar.
Sunday brunch was pretty wonderful too... Farmers Market Frittata - eggs, mushrooms, baby spinach, leeks from Noggins Corner Farms, grilled fresh chorizo sausages from Getaway Farm Butchers  My Honey is hankering for some burgers or flank steak next with some salad stuff... which I'll have to "borrow" from my daughter's garden.

Hopefully next week's visits to the markets will yield some fiddleheads or other spring delights. What are your favorite locally sourced recipes?


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Just happened to hit the "next blog" button and found your blog. I just thought I'd pass along that the frittata that you shared a photo of looks delish! Hooray for spring/summer & farmer's markets!

Ruth Daniels said...

Glad you dropped by. I hope you come back soon.