Thursday, March 28, 2013

Pots and Pans


One of my favorite food bloggers - Joanne of Eats Well With Others is moving in with "the Boy" and I wish them both well on their new digs and new... well... everything.   But this post was inspired because she's  thinking it's time to give up the college mismatch of pots and pans and find some new ones.  Since I love my pots and pans - each with a story, I thought I'd share some of my favorites and a recipe or two.

The colored, ceramic pot set above was a gift given about 40 years ago and still holding up.  The handle on the covers come off and allow the cover to be a trivet, so they're lovely to go from stove top or oven right to the table.  I don't use them often any more, but every time I open the drawer, I think of my friend RiSSa.   Admittedly, the shallow ones are the go to pots for steaming hot dogs for little boy lunches every time they visit, because somehow that and chicken nuggets are they only things they think I make.

The Dutch Oven, and other saucepans are from a Lagostina collection I bought years ago and use daily.  You can find many a deal on the collection of your choice, just make sure to choose the ones with a heavy bottom.
Admittedly, I do more sauteing than boiling or steaming (microwave is my choice for that).  But I can't imagine winter without some soup or stew simmering away in the Dutch Oven, like this
Since frittatas are a frequent star at our table, I suggest a small (8") oven proof skillet - preferably cast iron - I love my Lodge!  The small one is perfect for two people.  Of course for those Sunday brunches or last minute guests for an easy supper, you definitely need a huge one - 12.5" (bottom of the pile on the right).  Mine is by Heritage and it also does great one pan dinners and pasta "sauces" like this


In fact, it's my go to pan - having lots of room for tossing, wilting that huge bag of spinach...and frankly, everything else.  I use it as a wok to create dishes like this
And I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my Enamel Coated Dutch Oven that does the most fantastic slow braises ever!
I've been making this Easy Oven Stew and many a variation for more winters than I care to count.

Off to play, so I'm sure I've left out lots more of my toys... will share more later.  In the meantime, I'd love to hear what your favorite brands, sizes, etc., are.  Please share in the comments.

No comments: