Tuesday, April 17, 2012

More Pinterest Deliciousness - Pasta & More

First let's start off with last night's amazing dinner... Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta with a Little Heat.   It's  adapted from one I found at Chaos in the Kitchen (a new blog to me and one I'll be visiting often for more recipes to "pin") via Pinterest.  With 10 tablespoons of butter, this one is not the healthiest recipe I've ever made, but I felt that by using light cream cheese and Barilla's whole grain penne, I'd balance things out.   Of course, the second helping, probably didn't help... but it was too good to pass up.
The night before last, I also followed a recipe to the letter for spicy mushroom skewers from Dinners & Dreamers.  I just added 1 tbsp honey to really get them to caramelize on the grill.  You can see them peeking out of the salad I made with a simple vinaigrette to accompany the Italian Sweet Fennel Sausages, made locally and found at The Italian Market here in Halifax.  

The paranoid in me, might have to copy the recipe - giving credit where due, of course!  - on the off chance, Pinterest or Dinners & Dreamers go off-line.   But I digress and hope they both ..."live long & prosper" as Spock would say.  
Tonight's dinner is in the oven... Tuscan Braised Short Ribs  and already has me swooning from the wonderful aroma. It's only half-way done, but I thought you'd like a peek.  I suppose I didn't really need Pinterest to find this recipe.  A couple of years ago, fineCooking Magazine did a Create Your Own feature on Braised Short Ribs.  At that time I made the Hunter's Style ribs.  So I probably would have just gone back there to find another one to do justice to the batch of short ribs I got at Getaway Farm Meat Mongers, at the Halifax Seaport Market.  It is the coolest thing, to be able to go to butcher shop where you actually get to meet the butcher and tell him exactly how you want your order cut.   This time 2 inches across four ribs please - and I'll take about 3 pounds.

Tonight, I'll be serving the braised short ribs over some fluffy couscous to soak up that delicious gravy, so between last night's Shrimp Pasta and tonight's side of couscous.... I have a twofer for Presto Pasta Nights.   I'm hosting again.  So if you want to join in the fun... and you should... just write up a pasta dish, mention Presto Pasta Nights (with a link),  then send me your URL and the title of your dish by Thursday, to add to the roundup on Friday.  Email:  ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com.

If you're interested in hosting a Presto Pasta Night Roundup... it's a great way to connect with and make new food loving bloggers from around the world... just drop me a line  ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com and I'll be happy to add you to the family.   I'm looking for May hosts and beyond.  It's fun, it's easy and you get a sneak peek at all the pastas everyone else has to wait for.

2 comments:

Joanne said...

Pinterest brings so much good food into my life as well...it's my favorite addiction!

Alisha said...

That pasta looks delicious, Ruth! (As well as your mushroom skewers and short ribs. YUM!)

Sorry I've been absent on PPN lately .. my camera has been giving me fits. Hopefully next week I'll be back.