Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Change of Plans & Dining Alone

What do you do when your evening plans change at the last minute? My Honey just got back from Israel last night. It's six hours ahead of us, so I wasn't quite sure how awake he'd be by supper. Plan A was to spend supper and bath time with little ones... and their parents. After all, Poppa's been away for a week and it's always fun to get together.
And since I spent another great afternoon at doing Kidz Magic Cupboard with some fantastic 7-10 year olds and some amazing volunteers, I knew I'd be too tired to cook. I promise to tell you all about the program one day soon. But back to tonight's dinner plans. Since supper time in Nova Scotia is around midnight in Israel, guess who was asleep when I got home? Good thing I had Plan B in mind yesterday.
Another Roasted Spatchcock Chicken (done in the morning before it got hot). It only needs to roast at 500 degrees F/260 degrees C for 35 minutes or so. This time I made a paste of olive oil, garlic and Tlalelolco Rub from Epices de Cru to rub under and over the skin. It was the centerpiece of an awesome salad of romaine hearts, sweet red peppers, avocado, oil cured black olives, red onions and grated Manchego cheese with a white wine vinegar and avocado oil vinaigrette.

I ate it mindlessly in front of the TV flipping channels, stumbled upon ET Canada and discovered that one of my favorite TV chefs .... Chuck Hughes of Chuck's Day Off beat Bobby Flay on Iron Chef America... Another show I never watch. Congratulations, Chuck!

Just curious.... what do you do for dinner when you end up eating alone?

8 comments:

Cyndi said...

When Don's out fishing and I'm eating alone, I eat cereal. Sugary breakfast cereal--either Golden Grahams or Frosted Mini Wheats. It seems like such an indulgence.

ANu said...

me - i boil up some pasta toss it in olive oil and garlic, garnish with salt and dry basil :)

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I am usually eating alone so have plenty of leftovers for lunches or the next day. I love it that Chick Hughes beat Bobby Flay. Yay Canada!

David Daniels said...

Sorry about that - if its any consolation I woke up at 3am and couldn't get back to sleep!

Joanne said...

Trick question since I eat alone every day. :P But I think I'm worth cooking a good meal for...and I also like to think of it as that I'm cooking for my blog and all my readers!

Jamie said...

I have eaten alone quite a bit since I've been married: my husband often traveled and even now he is often away for the day on business. Sometimes I get take-out Asian, more often than not I make a salad or heat up soup, something fast and simple to make. And almost always eaten in front of the tv. That spatchcock chicken looks outrageously good!

Ruth Daniels said...

Anu, pasta's my usual go to meal, but it was too hot to think of boiling water ;-0!!

Joanne... the guys do not know what they're missing. You're awesome!

Jamie, the chicken is like my little black dress - goes with every/any thing!

Ruth Daniels said...

Cyndi - my indulgences are usually things that my Honey dislikes... liver, fish (anything with bones), tomatoes...