Saturday, May 29, 2010

Awesome Trip to the Market - Green Garlic is Here!

It really is too lovely here today to spend much time indoors, writing ...but I did have to share my bounty at today's Farmer's Market trip. After a long winter of mostly root vegetables it's wonderful to see all the green.
And I have been envious of all my foodie blogger friends who have been flaunting their green garlic - Katie of Thyme for Cooking - especially you, and thanks for sharing some great recipes for me to try out this week - including this gnocchi recipe for Presto Pasta Night and (since I'm doing without pasta this week, this Asparagus & Bacon Quiche that will still be delicious sans crust and bacon (just temporary - South Beach Diet Phase One prevails).
Just check out this beautiful chive flower on my spectacular bunch of chives. The green garlic and chives got me so excited, I don't even remember which farmer brought them to the market.

The next bunch of exceptional greens comes from one of my favorite market vendors - Ted Hutton Family Farm, with Ted always willing to give a little lesson on what's unique and interesting, and more important, whether or not to cook them or eat them raw in a salad.
How about these glorious mustard greens that are already starting to flower and are perfect for sauteing with a little fresh garlic and grated ginger root and a splash of soy sauce or balsamic vinegar.
This mizzuna is a wonderful mild green, great to mix with other spicier greens, but this particular bunch is 28 days old and, according to Ted, has a little more kick to it. Toss with a little lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper and it's a great salad on its own.
And for those days when I can't decide which taste of greens I want, his bag of mixed greens is a perfect choice.
For stir frys, Ted always has a variety of Yukina Savoy- Asian cabbages, and actually, I'm not sure which variety this is, but I know it will be wonderful - it always is.
Check out this bunch of oregano - so aromatic, so perfect for all the salads I'll be making and to go with some of the fish I picked up at Mike's Fish Shop .
Fresh sea scallops
Salmon fillet, grilled with a spritz of lemon and chopped oregano -perfection!
Smoked Mackerel - I couldn't resist it. Imagine a salad with some. And, of course, what would a trip to the market be without something fantastic from Getaway Farm (this time skirt steak, which won't be pretty enough for a photo until it's cooked) or Wood "n Hart (last week's lamb loin steak was so terrific, I had to do it again...perhaps this time I will even take time to photograph it before wolfing it down.
Last but not least...free range organic eggs...and now I'm off to enjoy the weather.

2 comments:

Helen (Fuss Free Flavours) said...

I bought choy today which I am looking forward to - quickly stir fried with some sesame oil and soy sauce.

I also got 4 different types of tomatoes, all of which are British rather than imported from Holland.

Jamie Mooris said...

Check out this great recipe today

http://www.ehow.com/how_6040969_bake-cod.html