Saturday, May 29, 2010

Skirt Steak, Worth the Effort

Without a doubt, skirt steak is one of the sorriest looking pieces of meat. It's a long thin piece of the diaphragm and has a thick membrane on either side that needs to be removed before cooking. But you'd be hard pressed to find a tastier steak anywhere. (More info here) And, given that there is only one diaphragm per animal, it's hard to find. I get mine from Getaway Farm, at the Saturday Halifax Farmers Market.

I was tempted to put this photo first, but figured you'd all groan, turn your noses up and click to somewhere else. But now that I have you hooked...this is what a skirt steak looks like at the butcher.
With very little effort, using a sharp paring knife to start separating the meat from the membrane
and then gently pulling them apart with your hands, the whole process takes no more than 10 minutes, and once you do two (and trust me, once you've eaten it once, you will definitely be back for more), it won't take more than 5 minutes to look like this...
Then all it needs is a simple marinade to tenderize before grilling, five minutes to rest after grilling and cutting across the grain to serve. This time I made a Lemongrass & Ginger Marinade that was awesome. For a different taste, this Balsamic Vinegar Marinated version was also delicious.

5 comments:

Judith in Umbria said...

Ruth, I'm tickled pink that you included the 'not quite ready for prime time' version of your meat. A lot of meat I buy needs attention in the kitchen, so I'm not put off at all, but I do sometimes get the feeling that more and more people want to see boneless, skinless and plastic-covered meat. Old fashioned cookbooks had instructions on prepping meat: remove the fell, or cut in 1" strips against the grain... The more we know about how to prep our food, the better. It isn't shmoo. We shouldn't be strangers to what a side or a quarter of meat looks like and we should know loin from leg. If we don't, then all manner and kind of trickery can happen and we're just preventable victims.

Anyway, my introduction to skirt steak was at an Argentinian steak house in Manhattan and was accompanied by slews of gorgeous Aregentinian boys waiting for their takeout. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Katie Zeller said...

Thank you, thank you! I keep hearing about skirt steak but hadn't a clue what it was. Now I know what to look for at the butcher shop - I can even take a photo with me ;-))

Joanne said...

Skirt steak is one of my favorite cuts! It's almost buttery and so rich. I will have to try these marinades! I usually just grill it and go!

www.craigslist.com said...

I was nervous about cooking this skirt steak...

Ruth Daniels said...

Judith, now that's a trip I'd love to share!

Katie - glad to be of service ;-D it's an awesome cut.

Joanne, it is wonderful, no matter how you cook it.

CL - hope your nervousness is over & you've made a successful meal of it.