Wednesday, April 14, 2010

What Are We Doing? More Fat in Fast Food?

Although I rarely use this blog as a platform for ranting...I can't help myself. My Honey sent me this link from The Globe And Mail entitled Forget Healthy. Apparently, KFC - is now serving up Double Downs. If you can't open the video you can follow this link to see it on YouTube.

No bread...which normally means salad or something healthy, but look again ...it's two breaded and fried pieces of chicken, with bacon and cheese in between them. I'm afraid to even think of the calories and fat involved.

Now don't get me wrong. I am far from being a purist. I occasionally crave an egg McMuffin or their quarter pounder. And once a year, I do love a couple of pieces of KFC myself. But most of the time, I eat healthy meals that really do taste wonderful.

I find it frightening to think about where we've come and where we're going. According to Stats Canada, 17.2% of Canadian adults were obese in 2008. Check out their article. I remember when if a woman was overweight, the only option, clothes-wise was a Muu Muu - that tent-like Hawaiian dress. Today there are chains of shops that cater to the Plus Sized and every other store has departments just for them as well.

Perhaps it's because I frequent the Farmers Market here almost every Saturday morning, where I get to know my farmers and artisan cheese and bread makers. Perhaps it's because so many of the books that cross my desk (make that dining room table) are focused on eating fresh, locally produced and healthfully (is that a word?). Perhaps it's because I've been following Jamie's Food Revolution. In one of his presentations he quoted US statistics that said that the next generation will live TWENTY YEARS LESS than this one due to obesity related diseases.

Enough ranting....I'm off to eat a healthy breakfast. Herb & Goat Cheese Scrambled Eggs with some multigrain toast.

4 comments:

cali chic said...

that is absurd! I can't believe they are doing this. we should be trying to "healthify" fast food, not the opposite! geez! you rant girl, this commercial deserves it!

Anonymous said...

Free citizens, of any republic, should be able to eat what they wish to eat.

Let the government regulate the safety of this food, not the content.

If I were to eat one of these every two weeks, would it compromise my well being more than surrendering that choice to some official in Washington, or Ottawa, or London?

We all have habits that someone would like to protect you from. And they all seem reasonable until someone decides that your vice or habit is "out of the mainstream."

Don't like it? Don't eat it! Leave others alone to make their own choices.

Ruth Daniels said...

I was debating as to whether or not to include the above point of view.

The reality is...I'd rather have freedome to choose myself, so...

Thanks for sharing yours.

Anonymous said...

People are free to eat what they want, but isn't part of a government's responsibility to ensure the health and well being of it's people? If you really think that the government shouldn't have a hand in our health or regulating companies who would feed us a heart attack in that little waxed paper,then we should just cut out all government programs for health- this way of eating is extremely unhealthy and in my opinion a large number of people don't think of the health consequences of eating these things.they shouldn't "outlaw" this food, but there should be transparent advertising, put the calories and fat content for this thing in the advertisement... also eating unhealthily is not out of the mainstream, unfortunately eating well is.