Monday, March 15, 2010

Flank Steak Dinner - Not as Easy to Find as You Think

One of my favorite cuts of meat is flank steak...a tougher, muscular cut from the hind quarter of the beef. It's incredibly flavourful and you can do so many wonderful dinners with it as your centerpiece. But the title of this post is "Not as easy to find as you think" because...well, it isn't! And when you do find some at the local grocery stores, the steaks are usually puny and overpriced.
So imagine my delight when I was at my favorite meat purveyors at the Halifax Saturday Farmers Market... Getaway Farm had a couple of beautiful ones. I've written about Getaway Farm before and my Honey and I can't get enough of their awesome grass fed, drug & hormone free Galloway beef. I guess his favorite would be a simple grilled strip loin ( the steaks were so tender and tasty, I'm still drooling), but flank steak ranks right up there. By the way, their homemade sausages are pretty spectacular too.

And back to flank steak...because it is a tough cut, it really does need to be marinated. I already have five delicious variations in my repertoire and each one is fantastic. I choose them as I would an article of clothing...by my mood of the day... or in this case my particular craving.


And tonight I add another fantastic recipe to my collection - this one from Lucy Waverman. I've taken her marinade from her Steak Frites with Tarragon Mustard Butter & Grilled Shallots in her wonderful cookbook A Year in Lucy's Kitchen . I may have left off the mustard butter and the grilled shallots - they're for another day, but the marinade was perfect.


This time served with some wilted baby greens (from Ted Hutton's farm stand at the market), just quickly sauteed with some garlic and lemon juice and some mashed roasted acorn squash. As my three year old grandson would say...Delicioso! ( we watch a lot of Dora & Diego when he visits).

7 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

My mom made flank steak every Wednesday all the years I was growing up. Despite that it is still an awesome cut of meat and sliced thinly it is exceptional.

Goody said...

Strange how cuts of beef fall out of fashion. We grew up eating flank steak as well, yet I never see it in our markets either.

Elizabeth said...

We love flank steak too but only buy it in the summer to cook on the barbecue. We love it on grilled slices of rustic bread with grilled vegetables.

Now I want to serve it with wilted greens....

-Elizabeth

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

I will refrain from commenting on the stake and instead tell you that I have given you an award :)

Patty said...

That looks great, I can't wait till summer comes and I can start grilling steaks!

PG said...

Good timing -- I just bought a flank steak.

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks everyone for dropping by and sharing your flank steak experiences. Now if only I could find some skirt steak!

And Jacqueline, thanks for the award. Give me a few days to come up with my post.