Friday, August 19, 2005
Latin Flank Steak - Recipe
Latin Flank Steak
From Every Kitchen Tells Its Stories
Hands-on time: 5 minutes
Marinate time: 2 -24 hours
Grill time: 15 minutes
Resting time: 10-15 minutes
2 Flank Steaks
½ cup soy sauce
½ cup Worcestershire sauce
Juice of 1 large lemon (approx. ¼ cup)
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1 tbsp fresh ginger, minced
2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded & finely chopped (optional)
1. Whisk all ingredients except flank steaks for the marinade.
2. Lightly score (shallow slashes) both sides of the flank steak and marinate steaks overnight in fridge or at least 2 hours at room temperature.
3. Drain marinade into small saucepan and bring to boil.
4. Grill steaks 5 minutes per side for medium-rare.
5. Thinly slice meat across the grain (short side).
6. To use remaining marinade as sauce, place in small pot on top of stove and boil for 3-4 minutes to kill any bacteria.
Tips & Variations
My favourite sides are simple rice or plain couscous with ginger/garlic green veggies. Check out the vegetable section for some options – roasted potato salad and spiced mango coleslaw are a nice choice.
A traditional chimichurri adds some extra Latin zing.
Related links: Food and Drink recipes