Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Pasta - Always a Good Choice

Ever have one of those days when you actually have too many options for dinner? So many, in fact, it's a struggle to actually pick one and start cooking! I swear I was almost tempted to go out!

Well...yesterday was supposed to be a dinner of appetizers. Sounds unhealthy, but really not ...I'm drooling just thinking about it. Problem was, I didn't have two key ingredients - Thai sweet chili sauce and fresh cilantro. I don't know about you, but for me, when I think Thai I think basil or cilantro and I wasn't prepared to substitute parsley or oregano - at least not this time. I suppose I could have made my own sweet chili sauce, there are plenty of recipes on the web, but...nope!

Which brings me to my dilemma...the weather was very wintry. We ended up with 20cm of snow - (almost a foot). Then, as if that wasn't enough, we had freezing rain (took my Honey 15 minutes this morning to scrape the ice off the windows!), so I was thinking soup. And there in lay my problem....


Mushroom, Leek & Spinach Soup

or something more tomato based with beans like this Hearty Bean & Roasted Tomato Soup. I actually had a can of canellini beans in my hand, and was looking at some gorgeous Garlicy Jacob cattle beans in the fridge, which would have been great with some spinach and broth.

But after five minutes of eeny, meeny, miny, moe...which did I choose? Neither - I decided on pasta...always my fall back plan. I had some fresh Five Cheese Whole Wheat Tortellini in the fridge (bought, not made, but delicious none the less), a bag of baby spinach, some of those lovely sun dried olives from Gourmet Cash & Carry, some cremini mushrooms and was inspired.

Quick 5 Cheese Whole Wheat Tortellini with Spinach, Mushrooms & Sun Dried Olives

Perfect for Presto Pasta Night, don't you think? Don't forget that I'm hosting this week's roundup and I'm waiting impatiently for all your delicious entries. Just email them to ruth (at)4everykitchen (dot) com by this Thursday evening and check back here on Friday for, what I'm sure will be an awesome roundup.

4 comments:

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

Well pasta IS always a great choice; I'm eating loads. I'm planning on blogging about it next week so I guess that means I miss this deadline :(

Ruth Daniels said...

Scott, I do hope to see you at next week's roundup - after all Presto Pasta Nights will hit 100!!!

Joanne said...

I always feel like I have too many things to choose from. And between all the cookbooks I own and blogs I read, I probably do. It's definitely a good thing you went with pasta..there really is no substitute for cilantro!

The Food Hunter said...

Pasta is always a great choice in my book. Sun dried olives sound very good. I'll have to track some of those down to try.