Friday, December 12, 2008

Revisiting South Beach Before the Holidays

I'm sure you're all rolling your eyes, but I am making an effort to prepare for the round of holiday eating that's already begun. All those parties, all those party dishes I'm making from the fantastic cookbooks I have are taking their toll on my waistline.

Finding the new The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life as I was in the check out line at the grocery store...well, it seemed a sign.

It has a comprehensive 2 week daily menu planner. Truth is, I never find lunch or dinner a challenge on their diet plans. I've written about my first SBD journey before and there are some other tasty SBD friendly dishes peppered throughout the other recipes as well. Even pasta is allowed after the first phase...just try for whole grain pasta rather than white flour and use more sauce than noodles...but I digress.

I guess the hardest part of SBD for me is eating breakfast. I admit it...I need coffee before I even figure out what I'm going to wear, but food... actually cooking and chewing something....that comes later. But it's critical on the SB plan to train your body, (Dr Agatston says it so much better) otherwise it thinks you're starving and stores sugar that turns to that lovely ring of fat around your waist. Graphic enough to get you to eat breakfast? Well I'm working on it.

Hard boiled eggs are easy to do and I love them, but frankly, they aren't really all that filling and how many days in a row can you eat the same thing? So omelets are another easy option - and I have many good frittata and scramble to choose from...just remember to eliminate the chorizo and other fatty meats especially in phase one.

Here's my latest...Mediterranean Omelet with Broccoli & Feta...It's perfect for one or for a brunch served in wedges...the only difference is the size of the pan. Remember one egg per serving (I know it doesn't sound like enough, but the filling really...well...fills you up).

No comments: