Tuesday, December 2, 2008

East Indian Delights

I recently wrote an article for Foodtv's blog about Indian Groceries, one of my favorite places to shop for everything East Asian, from spices to bottled sauces, pickles and...for my Honey...a fridge full of Indian Sweets.

When living in Toronto, I loved to invite friends and family to a homemade Indian Feast. And now that I know I can find all the ingredients here in Halifax, there's no reason not to continue. I think I'll wait until Joanna is able to climb the three flights of stairs though.

In addition to being able to buy every imaginable spice, 20 kinds of dal and gazillian bottled pickle and sauce options (and an occasional sweet for my Honey) I head over to the freezer. There's frozen cubes of fried paneer (hard pressed cheese similar to feta, but not as salty) perfect for making Saag Paneer . And the frozen stuffed parathas make a terrific fast lunch on the weekend or quick supper during the week. Just fry for 2-3 minutes per side and serve with some hot pickle...my favorite snack and I'm drooling as I write this. Good thing there are more in the freezer. You can see them peeking out at the top of the photo.

But my new fave dish that doesn't take long to make, thanks to one of my Honey's co-workers, is rice & dal ( I call it Indu's Dal & Rice because, well...Indu gave me the recipe) and as you can see from the photo at the top of the post...add them all together and you have a lovely dinner in about 30 minutes (only as long as the dal and rice take to soften).

What's your favorite quick fix?

6 comments:

Finla said...

I love all the sweets.
Here we don't get them; so when ever my hubby goes to London, he goes to one of those indian shopping streets and buy and bring them back.

maybelle's mom said...

Rice and dal is the ultimate indian comfort food.

A.C. said...

Ooh, that looks delish! I don't know of many Indian markets around Phoenix... we have large (and many) asian markets and occasionally you can find a specialized middle-eastern market... I wonder if I could find any Indian items in those...

Ruth Daniels said...

Happy Cook, I do hope your husband gets to London often for you ;-)

Maybelle's Mom, it certainly is delicious comfort food.

Corinne, I did a "google" search for East Indian markets around Phoenix and only got restaurants, but I bet if you called one of them you'd be able to find out where they shop
http://www.yelp.com/reviews/12_Phoenix_AZ/indpak_page_0.html

Katie Zeller said...

Pasta is cute - but not as cute as that new little grandbaby!!!!
Congrats!!!
(I'm catching up in my reader....)

Anonymous said...

Your topic is all about typical indian food. As a indian i m plesure to read this blog. I like these item very much. You can say these are my favourite food.