Saturday, May 10, 2008

Chinese Take Out or Cook In...Up to You.

Hopefully I actually made this in time for Mochachocolata-Rita's Chinese Take Out Event.

I've been obsessing over the need for bok choy and fermented black beans since seeing Mark Bittman's video back in March.

First I obsessed about fermented black beans, thinking I'd find them at the new Asian market downtown...no luck - but they actually did order some for me. That very morning (before the Asian store) I bought some baby bok choy, but naturally without the fermented beans...and then getting sick, well ultimately they were thrown out.

But today I have all the ingredients and here's the dish...

In a rush to get this post out to Rita...I served the dish in a bowl. But here are another couple of dishes that would round out the meal...

Chili Ginger Chicken and Scallion Ginger Rice
from Nina Simond's A Spoonful of Ginger (one of my most favorite cookbooks)

And tomorrow for Mother's Day, we're getting together at Joanna (the newest mom in our family) & Ezra's with his mom and me...and of course the men folk, with real Chinese Take Out!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I absolutely love fermented black beans, thanks for bringing great dishes to the party! ^_^

Ruth Daniels said...

No problem and I can't wait to see what the rest of the gang brings to the table.

Peter M said...

Nice takeout...shrimp always wins me over.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you didn't use any shark fins!