Saturday, April 5, 2008

Saturdays and Market Omelettes


I love early Saturday mornings here in Halifax. It's my time to head over to the Halifax Market and beat the crowds. In fact, I'm often there as farmers and artisans are just setting up for the day. Time to chat and find out a bit about their products. It's no wonder I always leave feeling very calm - even on a cold and rainy day like today.


Although it is officially Spring, it's not really evident yet at the market. Except, perhaps at the Riverview Herbs stall. They produce delicate fresh herbs and edible flowers, baby greens.....and they're only about an hour from Halifax so guess where I'll be driving once the weather improves. In the meantime I'm glad I bought a few potted plants - basil, rosemary & thyme to sit on my window sill and bring a little sunshine and a lot of flavor to my kitchen.

Time to head home with visions of breakfast (after all it's only 8 AM and I'm already done). Today, I'm thinking it will be an omelette with some things from the fridge - like baby spinach, cremini mushrooms (Brad from Maritime Mushrooms had some gorgeous shitakes, but I passed them by - silly me, now that I'm home, I'm still thinking about them - oh well, there's always next week - he says the best time to visit his operations near Bridgewater, NS is in August - I can't wait), leeks...and some wonderful things from the market - farm fresh eggs from free range & organically fed chickens and some Garlic & Cayenne Goat Cheese from Ran-Cher Acres (another farm I must visit), some fresh thyme.

Recipe for a perfect South Beach Dietbreakfast (add some wonderful toasty, crispy bread if you don't care)....


Market Omelette

Last step in this herby recipe...share with Weekend Herb Blogging. This week Kalyn is doing the hosting herself.

7 comments:

Kalyn Denny said...

That does sound tasty, and I am just about to make something very similar for my own breakfast!

Katie Zeller said...

That looks soooo good!
I just never do anything but cereal or yogurt for breakfast... Just can't be bothered at that hour!

Ruth Daniels said...

Katie, I couldn't possibly do this first thing in the morning...but brunch...or late breakfast on the weekends - that's another story.

Kalyn, I always said...great minds think alike.

Anonymous said...

yummy omelette!

Scott at Real Epicurean said...

I haven't had an omelette in quite a while. Perhaps today's the day?

Laurie Constantino said...

A perfect omelette!

Sara said...

Oh the market....I miss the year round market in Calgary. I heard our market is supposed to open this month, I can't wait! Your omelet looks very nice, mine always look like they've been hit by a bomb.