Thursday, January 10, 2008

Oops - Fell off the South Beach Wagon

The truth is, it's been more than a week of no bread, and, so much worse....no pasta! South Beach Diet Phase One is starting to get to me. I need my cereal to start the day well and by week two, dinners are still interesting, but lunches aren't. I'm tired of salads and somehow I haven't gotten around to making any great soups either.

So I was prepared to fall off the wagon a little and make some pasta last night. After all, tomorrow is Presto Pasta Night #45 and last week I made pasta sauce that I served over cauliflower "rice". I was going to use some multi-grain penne and a fantastic looking recipe I found under the lid of the grated Asiago cheese container....roasted mushrooms.

But we were invited out to dinner at Gio, an awesome fine dining experience, I must say! How could we possibly say "no"? The photo at the top of this post is of my entree..."Chinese wine lacqered squab - black forbidden rice - ginger pear - foie gras - star anise jus - roasted artichoke - pear slaw". What can I say...the presentation was stunning and the taste divine. too bad none of the photos came out.

I wish you could see the absolute star of the evening...Warm Sushi appetizer. I could have made a meal out of just that! Here's what they say about it on the menu - "cold smoked salmon - spicy mayo - havarti cheese - sweet soy - crispy onion - jalapeno vinaigrette" and the presentation of beautiful little soldiers lined up in a row on a long narrow pure white plate - gorgeous!

And in honor of Presto Pasta Night, I shared some ravioli with "Kobe beef short rib - oyster mushroom - red wine jus". Bad photo (that's an oyster mushroom perched on top), but delightful flavors.

Back to South Beach Diet today though, but more about that another day. What's your "fall off the diet wagon" moment? Please share, I don't want to be the only one.

Related Links:

4 comments:

Julie said...

Don't feel bad, I have been having trouble just getting in the wagon lol

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks Julie, gave me a good chuckle.

Amanda said...

My falling off the wagon moment is snarfing a whole bag of french fries--right out of the bag and burning my mouth. So bad, but oh, so good.

Sara said...

unfortunately, the past few months have all been about falling off the good-food wagon. Your dinner looks wagon-fall-off worthy!