Thursday, January 11, 2007

Easy Comfort Food for Frazzled New Moms and Everyone Else

My Honey thinks you'll all be bored by seeing too many Boaz pictures, but I disagree. That's my Princess - Joanna and her handsome little Prince.

Yesterday while out doing some shopping I thought I'd check out the local bookstore and add another cookbook to my collection. I was specifically looking for one that focuses on new moms - healthy, strength-building, and really, really easy to prepare. I assumed (and you know what they say about assuming) that there would be a bunch. The local bookstore had a number of books with recipes for babies and kids, but none focusing specifically on new moms and their nutritional needs. So....if any of you out there have a specific book to recommend, I'd love to know about it. Barring that I guess it's time to think about writing book number two!

Wow! I just found this one right here in Joanna's stash...Better Food for Pregnancy (the subtitle says recipes for healthy pregnancy and breastfeeding) and I'll be sharing some of those recipes soon. In the meantime, I decided that for the next little while I'd just use some of the easy and nourishing recipes I've shared with you before and slowly add new ones from my daughter's collection.



Last night we had Pasta with Spinach and Chickpeas. It takes 10 minutes once the water has boiled - and that's to cook the pasta. The rest of the ingredients are just tossed together in a big bowl, adding the spinach first. It will wilt just with the heat of the pasta. And voila! This time around I added a cooked sweet potato in the microwave. It takes 8-10 minutes, so you can cook this while the water is boiling. Cut the pulp into 1-2" cubes and add to the mix. Check out the recipe page for some other quick pasta options.

Helpful tip: cook up the entire bag of pasta. That way you have leftovers to zap or, even better, make a surprise frittata.

Related links:

1 comment:

Nau-Dee said...

You are doing what all GOOD Grandma's do and that's tell of your newest little blessing to the family....I'm not bored AT ALL. Babies are wonderful and the event of getting a new one is so wonderful that its best when shared. Keep the Pict's and updates coming!!!! :D

The Pasta with Spinach and Chickpeas looks really good too!