Monday, October 3, 2005

Flora Salad Frittata - Leftover Delight



The Flora salad I made for the Vegan IMBB was sweet and earthy but I made way too much and there’s nothing I hate worse than wilty, soggy, salad the next day. My daughter suggested that I turn it into a frittata. (Sorry vegans) I do that with left over pasta frequently. I call them surprise frittatas and they make a great lunch or Sunday brunch dish. But pasta is usually savory, made with a tomato base or pesto and olive oil – always lots of garlic. So I was having a difficult time imagining that this combo would work. I decided to try it out anyway. What was the worst that could happen? I might waste a few eggs because the salad was a goner anyway and would either get thrown out after dinner or after a flopped frittata lunch. And what if it worked!?!

So much to my amazement it was fantastic. Really! Okay it looks sort of brown but that worked too given that the frittata tasted like the forest – woodsy, earthy and nutty and the coarse sea salt I sprinkled on top added a wonderful crunch to the chewy shitakis.

I found the dressing in the salad overly sweet but it absolutely worked in the frittata. I might even have to write a note in the margin of the cookbook to make enough for a next day frittata. Or maybe only use the salad IN a frittata.

The moral of the story – don’t be afraid to try the oddest sounding combos.

Surprise Frittata
Ingredients
Left over pasta, salad, cooked vegetables, rice or meat, chicken, sausages, etc. (You get the idea - anything goes)
2 eggs per person
2 tbsp olive oil

Directions
1. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in an oven proof skillet.

2. Saute the leftovers until heated on medium high heat. Add the beaten eggs and 1 tbsp olive oil, whatever herbs and spices that will complement the leftovers. Tilt the pan until the egg mixture is evenly spread over the pan. Cook for 3 minutes until the eggs begin to set at the edge.

3. Place in a preheated oven (350-400F/180-200C) for 15 minutes or until firm in the center.

4. Cut in wedges and serve with a side salad or as part of a buffet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes! Long live the leftovers-with-egg combo! :) I just did this with leftover spinach. Everytime I have leftovers I think: "hmmm, with egg tomorrow? can do!" :) I have never done it with pasta though...I will keep that in mind!

Joe said...

I love frittatas because you can just throw pretty much anything in and it tastes good! I like your version though!

Ruth Daniels said...

Joe & Joey, thanks for dropping by.

I agree - there's nothing like a frittata to get creative with whatever's on hand.