Thursday, August 22, 2013

A Twist for Chimichuri - Pasta with Mushrooms

Sometimes, like today, I really love how my brain works.  This pasta dish started out at least a week ago or maybe more, by pinning a delicious looking pasta dish created by Nigella Lawson and shared on Food52.   I mean, lemon, mushrooms, thyme and garlic - what's not to love?  Then life - and other recipes got in the way, but I've been obsessing about it ever since.

Last night I had a craving for corn on the cob - a dish my Honey is not a huge fan of, so the corn was for me, the roasted new potatoes for him and a tasty Grilled Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce (also from Food52) for both of us.  All local ingredients... all delicious from various vendors at the Halifax Seaport Farmers Market

Leftover sauce was put it in a jar in the fridge, with every intention of scrambling it in some eggs this morning... which didn't happen, but that's another story.  The sauce was actually quite mild and next time I'll add a little more heat.  The wine, by the way... my new favorite red - is from Luckett Vineyards Gaspereau Valley, NS - it's called Phone Box Red and I love it!

So today, when I started to make Nigella's version, I noticed the jar of sauce in the fridge and couldn't resist changing her recipe up.   I used my brand new OXO Good Grips V-Blade Mandoline Slicer to very thinly slice the mushrooms, my trusty microplane to zest a lemon and lots of Parmigiana-Reggiano.  Then,  in the serving bowl, I tossed the mushrooms with the zest, some lemon juice and a few big spoonfuls of chimichurri sauce.  All that was left to do was to boil water for pasta, cook the pasta as directed, drain and toss the hot pasta in with the mushrooms.  A final taste for seasoning and... voila!  Dinner is served.   I will be writing up the recipes for both dishes soon, but I had to share.

No comments: