Thursday, July 19, 2012

Avocados - The Perfect Ingredient

I love avocados - in salad, in sandwiches and obviously guacomole.  I love them because they taste so darn good!  So isn't it awesome that they are also good FOR you? Here are some reasons to love them:

They are full of carotenoids like lutein for improved vision; are high in fibre (so much nicer to eat than munching on bran); They protect your heart and lower your cholesterol.  You can read the details at Best Health Magazine to get the full picture as to why they are considered one of the Super Foods - although Google "Super Food" and you get a bazillion options - all with different choices - not always avocado... but they are on MY list.

Above you see one of my favorite lunches - a sandwich made from Smoked Chicken (I love May Family Farms deli chicken options - they're made with natural ingredients.  In fact, I always have some flavor or other in my fridge - great for salads, soups and sandwiches and check out their recipe page - not to mention an opportunity for some coupons), but I digress....

Add some sliced cheese - my favorite being Swiss, but smoked gouda from That Dutchman's Farm is another great choice, sliced avocado and ... depending on the season, because I really only like tomatoes right off the vine (otherwise they just seem to taste...well ... flat), throw in a few leaves of fresh basil, a grinding or two of pepper and a slather of mayo (I like Hellmann's with olive oil - more recipes) and Dijon mustard, all on some fresh  bread.  The photo above is Ace Bakery Artisan Bread's Rosemary Foccacia that always reminds me of living in Toronto... that's where their bakery is and even more recipes on their website.
But today's ode to avocado is really about dessert.  This chocolate mousse is not your everyday, run-of-the-mill variety... although, let's face it... there really is no such thing as BAD chocolate mousse.   For those of you who are lactose intolerant, or don't mix milk with meat, there is no cream - just thick coconut milk from the top of the tin (I like A Taste of Thai's Lite Coconut Milk).  You really should check out their site for glorious recipes.  And, I'm off on a tangent yet again.  Sorry!   The original recipe from food52 calls for agave syrup, which I didn't have and used some local maple syrup from Sugar Moon Farm, where you can watch them make it when the first sap flows, usually in March or April, but a great place to visit any time of year - with Chef Nights and even some sword fighting competition (seriously - July 22).  I wrote about an early visit.  


Enough rambling.... I realize you've probably already scrolled down to the recipe... but you should check out the above links for some wonderful recipes with avocado, coconut milk and maple syrup... and you don't even have to use them in the same recipe!
Although I haven't made my pasta dish yet for this week's Presto Pasta Night Roundup... I'm hosting.... perhaps it will have at least one of those three ingredients.   If you'd like to join the fun, just write about it, mention Presto Pasta Nights and send me an email - ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com  by midnight tonight.

If you'd like to host a PPN Roundup. Just drop me a line to pick a date. July 27 as well as August 24 and beyond are available.  It's never to early to sign up and join the fun! 

No comments: