Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Pasta Perfect - This Time with Shrimp

I've been on an austerity plan lately ... trying hard to use up the food I have on hand in the pantry and freezer...and not splurging on Italian pastas...but I had to ... really ... I HAD to stop by the Gourmet Italian market for their awesome Sweet Fennel Sausages.  My freezer supply is depleted.  And I couldn't help myself ... I had to check out the pasta aisle.  Divella Pasta has such a fantastic assortment of unique pastas. it was truly hard to resist.  I forced myself to only by ONE bag... you have no idea how hard that was.  But Passover is coming very soon and I already have pasta in the pantry for me to use up.

The rest of the dinner was a waffling back and forth between some recipes in great cookbooks..Esquire's. Eat Like a Man: The Only Cookbook a Man Will Ever Need - seriously good even though I resent the title - women can love this book too! and Michael Smith's latest - Chef Michael Smith's Kitchen -  I'm a huge fan .  So I took some ideas and made them my own with this one that I really don't know what to call it...other than delicious!


The real star of the dish was the Divella Pasta... in fact, my Honey, who like me, would normally focus on the shrimp, said this pasta would be great without it.  The noodles themselves were wonderful - the flavour, the texture, the way the sides curl together and trap the sauce.  I'm drooling even now.

It was so delicious, I have to share with Presto Pasta Night this week.  For the last few weeks, it's not that we haven't eaten pasta, just that I've use the last of my favorite Grandma Hazel's Meat Sauce this time with sauteed mushrooms, and other standard "throw together"  dishes I've made a million times before. This time around the dish is worthy of a spot in the roundup.   Juli of Pictures of all my Princesses is hosting.  Send your entries to jules (dot) i (dot) m (at) gmail (dot) com and cc ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com by Thursday March 22 to be included in this week's roundup.





2 comments:

Joanne said...

I always wonder how important it is to splurge on better quality pasta...and yet I almost always do because it is SO worth it! Looks like a great dish!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

There is no way I can resist a new pasta shape Ruth. My cupboards are overflowing with what needs to be used.