The next holiday at our house is Hanukkah - festival of lights and potato latkes. In the "olden days".... days of my mother and grandmother and all those mothers before them, that meant grating BY HAND at least ten pounds of potatoes to transform them into the lacy - crispy on the outside, tender and soft on the inside latkes that are always the central dish in any Ashkenazi Jewish home.
That's my grandmother, Auntie Rita and my Mom serving up some delicious dishes for some do or other. Check out the fancy "party" aprons. The tradition, for our family at least, meant that upon entering the house, the guests would sneak into the kitchen for "JUST ONE" hot latke right out of the frying pan and forget to leave! Before you know it, one platter of latkes would be devoured before the meal was served!!!
We've come a long way since then... not from the eating part - that tradition of sneaking into the kitchen is still alive and well. Now, I couldn't imagine making latkes without a food processor to speed things up dramatically.
The very generous folks at KitchenAid Canada have offered a fantastic giveaway of their latest 13 cup deluxe food processor that is truly spectacular for one of my Canadian readers... sorry about the rest of you.
Just check out some of the key features:
• New external adjustable, stainless steel slicing disc provides ultimate versatility
• Dual shredding disc easily flips the disc from 2mm to 4mm to achieve ideal slicing thickness
• Large 13-cup (2.75L) leak-proof work bowl, plus chef’s bowl and mini bowl to efficiently
• Ultra Wide Mouth Feed Tube™ adjusts to 3 different sizes to accommodate foods of varying sizes, including whole potatoes and cucumbers
• 17 precise food processing options for speed-controlled slice, shred, chop & puree functions plus three maximized slice, shred and puree/chop blades and bonus dough, egg whip & Julienne blades
• 4 speed-controlled functions
• Comfort design side handle allows easy viewing while the food processor is in use
All you have to do to receive this awesome gift is to write a comment below about why that lucky person should be you. Share a funny or heart wrenching reason and I'll choose one lucky reader WHO LIVES IN CANADA. Deadline to enter is November 26th. Check back after that to see who the winner is.