Friday, November 11, 2011

Catching Up on Cookbooks & Recipes

Finally out of the fog called the flu and into the fog outside that's accompanying the wind and rain, I thought I'd catch up on sharing a couple of the new cookbooks to come my way and recipes.  This time the focus was on eating healthier.  You could tell I wasn't feeling well, when I turned to them for my cure.  That said, all the recipes were delicious for any time - sick or well.  

There was a time when the thought of any brown rice, or "weird" grain I couldn't pronounce (like quinoa, for example, which by the way - keen wah) had me at best, turning my nose up and at worst, running in the opposite direction.   I've matured and so have my taste buds.  And there are still times and dishes that I wouldn't dream of making with whole grained anything...

Like my mother's Creamed Salmon on Toast which is all about the comforting memories of my childhood.

While it's true that some grains are firmer, or have a distinctive flavor and you do have to find a balance for the flavors, it's easy to find great cookbooks to guide you through the learning process.   And I've written about two...

The Complete Whole Grains Cookbook, even sickly had me whipping up the gorgeous and oh-so-delicious Saffron Scented Shrimp over Chile Shrimp and some Oatmeal Shortbread Squares that we inhaled even before I got to take any pictures.

Then there's Joy Bauer's Food Cures with recipes for whatever ails you... seriously!  From weight loss to migraines, diabetes, cancer... you'll find delicious recipes like...



Feel free to roam around and see which other great finds of mine I forgot to share here.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I love all these healthy meals you've been preparing! just perfect for getting you out of your sickness and into better health!

Shelby said...

I have the Joy Bauer cookbook, I just haven't had a chance to go through it much yet. I think I should get on it this weekend! Those muffins look yummy - but that Saffron Shrimp is pretty darn appealing too!

Ruth Daniels said...

Joanne, the healthy meals did help and very delicious, if I say so myself

Shelby, It's a great book on so many levels and the shrimps... next time I'll do them over some whole grain pasta ;-)