So the second surprise is when you cut into one... or make that BITE into one and see how well the surprise ingredients come together.
The basic recipe...
- Preheat the oven to 400F/200C and use a small skillet (serves one or two people... bigger pan for more people);
- Heat a little olive oil in the pan over medium high heat;
- in a bowl whisk eggs (2 per person plus one for the pan) and set aside;
- Chop interesting ingredients - today 1/2 red onion, sliced mushrooms, 1/2 Cajun smoked sausage, handful of spinach leaves, left over roasted & marinated sweet red pepper, fresh rosemary & oregano leaves (from my window sill garden), some freshly ground pepper;
- Sautee the veg etc., until soft and starting to brown, cover with egg mixture, stirring to incorporate all the filling and let set over medium heat (about 4 minutes in a small pan - a bit longer in a larger one) until only the center looks moist and not quite set;
- Add a handful of grated or crumbled cheese - sometimes I use goat cheese, other times Dragon's Breath Blue, Feta or Swiss... today was the last of the Kraft grated Quatro Fromaggio. Sprinkle a little paprika - today it was smoked;
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden and set.
Now that you know my weekend breakfast treat... what's your favorite weekend breakfast?