Thursday, May 12, 2011

Deliciously Upsided Down Dinners


This has been a busy cooking week and some of the dishes are not exactly as they seem. Of course I needed a pasta recipe I didn't want to miss the Presto Pasta Night. This week our wonderful host is Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes . You still have some time to send your entries to tinnedtomatoes (at) googlemail (dot) com and cc ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com

I have an awesome new cookbook that I'll be raving about very soon and this Eggplant Manicotti caught my eye. The funny thing is... there is no real manicotti. The "pasta" is actually slices of eggplant with a very tasty filling.
Earlier in the week I finally got to make the Seared Lamb Chops with Sage, Anchovies & Capers recipe that I found in the NY Times a couple of weeks ago. The lamb from Wood 'n Hart farm was wonderful. The sage & fresh mint from Riverview Herbs, the beet greens and green garlic from Noggin Farms - all my favorite stops at the Saturday markets, rounded out the ingredients.

It was easy enough to saute the beet greens with a little chopped onion and olive oil, but I felt the need for another side... rice perhaps? But I needed a pasta dish, so my "rice" wasn't rice either... It was a very tasty Herb & Garlic Orzo that will be great as a main sometime soon.

So which of these dishes will Jacqueline choose... the pasta fake rice or the eggplant fake pasta? I guess I'll just have to wait until tomorrow's roundup.

2 comments:

Simona said...

I choose the eggplant fake pasta (no lamb). What an interesting recipe!

Ruth Daniels said...

That was my choice too. Very tasty even for us carnivores. Our "meat" cravings were more than satisfied.