Monday, January 18, 2010

BlackBerry Farm - Tennessee at Its Best

Last week, I was flipping through the guide on TV and stumbled across Adventures With Ruth and taped it for some future down time, not knowing what I'd be watching, but being a fan of Ruth Reichl from her days as Food Editor of the now defunct Gourmet Magazine and her delicious biographies...I just knew it would be wonderful.

But let's back up a bit....back in November I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of The Blackberry Farm Cookbook: Four Seasons of Great Food and the Good Life, which I wrote about and which still sits on my coffee table for all to browse through. It's gorgeous.

So what a wonderful surprise, when I saw Ruth and her good friend (and one of my favorite actresses), Frances McDormand visiting the farm, harvesting their dinner (including catching trout in the stream) and cooking it up with Sam Beall and his inspired and inspiring staff. Even a big city girl like me was jealous of the lifestyle and ready to pack my bags and head out to live off the land.

Obviously, from the ingredients, the show was filmed in early summer - and I can't wait until I can at least go to our local farmers markets for ingredients to make Surgar Sanap Pea & Cheese Curd Salad and Strawberry Elderflower Jam Tarts .

Just curious, and so you all can make me even more jealous....what is your favorite foodie country retreat? I was lucky enough to spend a morning and lunch at The Shipwright Cafe in Prince Edward Island back in September....that was pretty awesome.

4 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

My favourite country retreat would be Fairburn Farms on Vancouver Island. They even have cooking classes there and market tours on Saturdays as well as artisan tours of the Cowichan Valley and wineries....my kind of place.

Ruth Daniels said...

Sounds like my kind of place too. Perhaps we can plan a trip next summer.

giz said...

Ste Anne Spa was a fabulous retreat. The chef was amazing and was totally willing to modify anything. Throw in a few wonderful spa treatments - what could be better.

Ruth Daniels said...

Excellent choice, Giz. I've been there and it is wonderful.