Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Foods to Choose - a More Positive Spin Part One

On Saturday I shared a link and my thoughts on what food experts say to avoid. That done, it got me thinking. Normally I'm very much a "glass half-full" kind of girl...perhaps even more. I don't usually go to the Dark Side. I don't usually stand on a soap box either. And, the truth is, what's good for us today, some "expert" will say is terrible in a year or two anyway. I am a cynic about that, if nothing else.

So I thought I'd share another link from Saturday..."25 Ridiculously Healthy Foods" , especially since the holidays are upon us and we tend to overdo life, and that means lots of stress and not always eating well. Plus this is an easy start to the 2010 Resolutions we're all going to make.

And I thought I'd share a few of my favorite recipes to help out even more.

1. Eggs - can apparently lower risks of breast cancer, antioxidants to prevent macular degeneration & cataracts. And since I love what a wonderful canvas they are to a happy weekend morning

....here's my total list of frittatas, omelets & scrambles.

2. Greek yoghurt - better than regular - twice the protein plus immune-boosting bacteria. And although this doesn't sound much better than gruel, I can assure you this mush is pretty, tasty, and very, very good for you. 3. Fat-free milk (fine...any milk) is a great source of Vitamin D, something we never get enough of, especially in the winter. That definitely goes for us, but we do enjoy cheeses with crackers and freshly baked artisan breads for relaxing weekend "lunches", does that count?
4. Salmon for so many reasons...omega 3 rich, prevents heart disease, smooths your skin, boosts your mood and...best of all...slows the rate of digestion. Since my Honey isn't really a fish eater...especially those with lots of bones and strong aroma (my word, not his), we typically stick to salmon & tilapia, so here are some of our favorite recipes.
5. Lean beef - best absorbed source of iron, zinc and did you know that grass fed beef has twice the level of vitamin E - brain boosting anti-oxidant. We are serious carnivores, so naturally there's lots of beef served here. Two of our favorites are strip loin and flank steak because they are lean and yet still extremely flavorful. This Teriyaki Flank Steak has been a staple since forever...even before I worried about too much fat. You can find a ton of other options here.
6. Beans - did you know that 1 cup of cooked = 17g of fibre - reduced risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and breast and colon cancers - enough said. Lentils, split peas, red, white, black, cannelini...I love making them as a side, or a main; with and without meat.
7. Nuts can also reduce risk of heart disease & diabetes. Typically I sprinkle them over salads, coat fish fillets in them
and naturally use them in brownies and cookies.
8. Edamame & tofu - we're not so big on this one at our house.

9. Oatmeal - which in my world is only used in cookies, breads, muffins, even meatloaf rather than breadcrumbs, but never as a hot morning breakfast...too much like slimy gruel to me...and all you morning oatmeal fans, don't bother trying to convert me.
10. Flaxseed is the "most potent plant source of omega-3 fats. Studies indicate that adding flaxseed to your diet can reduce the development of heart disease by 46%" Wow! I put them in the mush and many of my bread recipes.

11. Olive oil is my favorite heart healthy monounsaturated fat. It is the oil I use most frequently...at least from appetizers through mains and sides.

12. Avocado - packed with heart protective ingredients like Vitamin E, folate, soluble fibre & potassium. Like my littlest grandson, I could eat it just scooped out of its shell, in guacamole and healthy dips...
...my Honey, on the other hand, is not a big fan, so I have to hide this heart healthy ingredient in wraps.


Stay tuned for Part Two of the top 25 Ridiculously Healthy Foods tomorrow.

2 comments:

pam said...

Great post, it's nice to see that those are all my favorites!

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I have been doing it right for years and wasn't totally aware so now I feel better about what I am putting into my mouth.Thanks for the reminder Ruth.