Here's my take on the Seven Deadlies....
1. No canned tomatoes...something about the tins themselves that are linked to horrible diseases. They suggest buying tomatoes in glass jars. I don't know about you, but other than in sauces or pickled, I've never found jarred tomatoes....and I don't think I'm going to spend too much time looking either.
2. No corn fed beef....I do try to find grass fed beef, but not always available at local supermarkets and the price is usually a lot more. The taste of the meat is also different, so it does take some getting used to. An easy start is to find the grass-fed beef producer at your local farmers market and go for stewing meat and ground beef for braises, chilis and stews.
3. No microwaved popcorn...again chemicals in the bags. Not really a big popcorn eater, so not really an issue for me. Any thoughts?
4. Non-organic potatoes...being root vegetables they not only absorb nutrients from the soil, but pesticides etc., as well. Hmmmmm, I never thought of that. So I'll be on a hunt. I wonder how easy/hard it will be to find. I wonder if I'll even remember this the next time I hunt for potatoes.
5. Farmed Salmon...too gross to repeat here, and apparently here on the East Coast, there is no commercial wild salmon fishing. Since salmon is high in Omega 3s and important for eye and heart health, I think this needs more research for me as to the quality of fish farms here in the east before I totally boycott them.
6. Milk produced with artificial hormones....another thing I never thought about....just checked my milk carton and, of course it doesn't say anything. Big sigh....apparently now I have to look for Check labels for rBGH-free, rBST-free products. Given I don't drink a lot of milk, (I'm pretending cheese doesn't count) I won't worry.
7. Regular apples...too many pesticides. Look for organic or at least wash & peel. I think I'll go that route.
That said, I do think we can get carried away and sometimes, I choose not to look too closely. What's your take on all of this? Which ones matter and which will you ignore?