Friday, August 28, 2009

Stilll Blueberry Season

Biggest highlight at the market last week and finally made their way to the local supermarkets as well... blueberries...tiny little wild ones that pack quite the tangy punch and cultivated, big fat and juicy ones. I've already shared some of my favorite blueberry recipes with you, but I certainly haven't had my fill yet...as I write this, I'm enjoying some blueberries and goat yoghurt drizzled with some local honey....heaven in a bowl!

But what was I going to do with the last of this batch???? And, because I really do love to support local farmers when I can, I thought I'd check out Anita Stewart's Canada, which is one of my favorite books. Even if you don't live in this wonderful country, it's a stunning book.

I couldn't resist these stunning Butter Honey Blueberry Muffins which taste even better than they sound. Ingredients....local butter from Tatamagouche, Smeltzer's honey, and wild blueberries from one of the many stands at the Saturday farmer's market.

Just another reason I support Helmann's Eat Real Eat Local Campaign, Tomorrow is another visit to the market...for sure corn will make its way back here, some lovely new potatoes and ...hopefully, some tomatoes...not to mention all the usual wonderful treats. I'll keep you posted.

Wherever you live, there are some local, seasonal things to focus on...what's up in your neck of the woods?

No comments: