Tuesday, July 14, 2009

South Beach Diet Phase II Begins

I know I should be excited...it's been two weeks of mostly sticking to the The South Beach Diet Supercharged , Phase One. I was hoping to lose more than the 7 pounds and 1 1/2" around my tummy, but I feel better - more energetic, in fact. I've even gotten into the rhythm of eating breakfast - hard boiled egg & V8 juice most days. Lunches are easy as are the fantastic dinners....including last night's roasted Lamb Roll stuffed with spinach and served with pristine yellow beans - not one brown mark in the bunch! - mostly steamed and then lightly sauteed for a minute with garlic scapes and half teaspoon of my freshly made pesto.


My challenges have been the snacks and desserts. Pre diet days...the only snacking was after dinner...a GIANT no-no. And dessert was often just some dark chocolate...fine on phase two, but not phase one and not everyday. Seriously, how much chocolate pudding can a person stand?


But we're done...we're done and I'm scared. A new world has opened up with all my favorite things....

fresh, juicy, local ripe strawberries...
Homemade Dakota bread with all those healthful seeds and I'll just up the whole wheat & rye flour...
Sweet potatoes a million different ways...a favorite is the lime roasted recipe.

All are welcome on Phase Two....but...and it's a very BIG BUT...
as Dr Agatston says on page 249...

"While you're excited to be on Phase 2, don't go wild over the additional choices"

The book is very helpful in guiding us through this torturous phase...week one: add one good starch and one piece of fruit (make that 3/4 cup of strawberries, in my case) per day. How little he knows us...moderation is not a word that comes easily. So wish us luck.

1 comment:

cali chic said...

I totally understand! When me and my mom were doing Southbeach (we both lost 20 pounds btw) the hardest part about phase one was not no sweets, no fat or no alcohol...it was no fruit! Good luck, the hard part is over!