Friday, July 10, 2009

More South Beach Eating

I must confess, I've never been much of a breakfast person so most of the time during the week, it's hard boiled eggs. Not terrible, just not very creative. Frankly, I can barely do more than brush my teeth and make coffee except on the weekends when breakfast is more like brunch.

And lunch is another meal I don't (make that didn't) bother much about. Once I'm into my day, time flies by and I forget to eat. So hopefully, I've made enough of a dish for the previous dinner and I can munch on that. When we lived in Toronto, it was easier...especially in the summer. I'd take my lunch break on the back porch, watching birds in all the trees, enjoying the peace. Now...no lawn, not even a balcony so I usually forget. I could, make a picnic...but I would only go to all that trouble for someone else.

Anyway, I'm rambling, but look how cute yesterday's lunch was (top of post)....and it was inspired by my flipping through one of my newer cookbooks - The Flavors of Asia. I came across a beautiful looking Northeastern Thai Shrimp Salad wrapped in a lettuce leaf and Vietnamese Shrimp & Cucumber Salad. So...no rice, no rice paper wrapping, but a lovely combination of strips of sweet red peppers & cucumbers, sprinkled with a little fresh cilantro, a drizzle of rice wine vinegar (just a drop) and all wrapped up in sliced chicken breast from the deli counter.
Dinner is never a problem, and last night was no exception....except for the fact that I didn't have enough baby bok choy. You should definitely see more green than what the photo shows. And I thought I had dried shitake mushrooms to rehydrate for even more flavor (I should have read Notes on Cooking again)...naturally, I didn't so I improvised by using mushroom flavored soy sauce from my local Asian market.
This week the dish was served on its own - but the future holds promise ...it's going to be awesome over multigrain pasta.

No comments: