Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pasta + Farmers' Markets = Heaven on a Plate

You know the song that Julie Andrews sings to the kids in "The Sound of Music" when they're afraid of the storm.....You can find the lyrics here - a refresher When I need a pick me up here are some of the things I think about....right after the grandsons, their parents & Auntie Sharron, and of course, my Honey...

Fresh from the soil produce (this time of year the stars are all bright green...fiddleheads, asparagus, baby beet greens, spring onions, potted herbs);
Grass fed, organic beef, pork, and lamb ( especially the young Spring local Nova Scotian lamb);

Free-range chickens and oh-so-fresh eggs, you can still hear the chickens clucking;

Fish and seafood so fresh you can smell the ocean;

Fresh herbs that really look, smell and taste like they're supposed to (we're especially lucky to have Riverview Herbs with their hothouse herbs - treasured all year round);

Artisan breads and cheeses;
homemade preserves and pies (strawberry rhubarb pie is big right now)
...I could go on, but you get the idea. And where can I find these delights...local farmers' markets, that's where.

There is something wonderful about talking to the farmers, fishermen, cheese makers, bakers, etc... It changes my way of thinking about my food. It's not just food in a grocery cart at a big chain outlet (much of which will last only a few days in my fridge before wilting), it's about the people who grow it, fish for it, produce it with lots of TLC and hard work. You can see the pride and passion and it makes the food that much more special.

But what does that have to do with last nights dinner (pictured at the top) and pasta?

I've already talked about the glorious mussels I picked up this past Saturday and the Steamed Mussels with Chorizo. There actually was some left over...a first for us! So I removed the shells and kept them in the fridge along side of the Chimichurri sauce meant originally for the Argentinean Burgers. I wasn't quite sure about what I would do with them...chimichurri is easy, since we're huge carnivores and a dollop on any grilled meat, chicken or fish would be dynamite.

You can't even begin to imagine how perfectly they go together especially when tossed with some very healthy Dreamfields Penne Rigate - lots of fibre, lower glycemic index than most pasta which works for me since I'm a real fan of the South Beach Diet (although you probably wouldn't know that from what I've been eating lately).

Finally...supper!!!! Worth making the other two dishes just for the "leftovers"!

And speaking about pasta....I'm hosting this week's Presto Pasta Night, so send your entries to ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com by Thursday, June 4...that's tomorrow...and I'll be posting the roundup on Friday. I can't wait to see what sauce I can use on the delicious Dreamfields pasta.

Some guidelines if you're a first time PPNer and if you're interested in hosting, check it out and drop me a line. Some spots in July & August are still open. Everyone loves the chance to host and meet new food bloggers...join the fun!

6 comments:

Patsyk said...

I'm anxiously awaiting opening day for our farmer's market! You have quite the market there, it must be so hard to select just what you need and not pick up tons of other items as well.

Ruth Daniels said...

Actually Patsy...word you're looking for is IMPOSSIBLE. I always leave with more than planned.

Beth (jamandcream) said...

What a great market - i'd spend a fortune!

Ruth Daniels said...

I hear you...it didn't take long to spend $60 and that was low for me ...but well worth it.

foodcreate said...

What a great Market!I can spend all day shopping:) Wonderfully self-indulgent...

Thanks for sharing your photos:)

Stop by and visit me:)

htt://foodcreate.com

Soma said...

Hi Ruth, I have mailed you my entry for the pasta night.
http://www.ecurry.com/blog/pasta-pizza/pasta-with-roasted-garlic-tomato-sauce/