Sunday, May 31, 2009

Spring at the Market: Real + Fresh= Delicious

It's been more than a month since I last went to the Halifax Farmers Market. Trips to Toronto, a bad cold and...I don't remember, but the last time I was there, I found way more artisans than I did food producers. And since it's been so long, there were three mistakes I made:

One: I went a bit later than I usually go and it was already very busy at 7:30 a.m. (I like to go before there the crowds show up. It seems that everyone in Halifax is way more social than I am in the morning!);

Two: I forgot my camera!!! Insane, I know, but I did manage to take a photo of my bounty when I walked in the door;

Three: I've grown accustomed, over the winter, to find relatively few vendors, so I didn't do my "walk around" to find the "best of" ...which really didn't matter because everything looked great and I still managed to spend $60 for fantastic local goodies, like....

Little Dorset organic ground beef for tonight's barbecue (you'll have to come back tomorrow to hear the whole story);

Indian Point Mussels for last night's fantastic dinner. I've been dreaming about these locally farmed mussels ever since I saw the recipe in Relaxed Cooking with Curtis Stone. And it was just as delicious as I'd hoped it would be.


Ran-Cher Acres fantastic goat cheeses and Julien's baguette, croissants & pains chocolat, because...well... my Honey would be very disappointed if I didn't...and after all that foraging for food, I love Saturday afternoons, spent watching a movie, flipping through my latest stash of food magazines and munching on some of my market score;

Riverview Herbs for fresh mint and basil (for the roasted potato salad and chimichurri sauce for the burgers...you WILL have to come back tomorrow);

Last but definitely not least, the veggies...beautiful baby beets & greens, more very local fiddleheads and asparagus and the first rhubarb. Too bad the strawberries aren't out yet. That's my favorite combination this time of year and perhaps I will actually make my own strawberry rhubarb pie....or....you guessed it, pick one up at the market next week!

There is nothing like fresh, locally grown food, I hope you have the opportunity to explore your local markets.

3 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I found a list not that long ago that stated that Halifax was un the top 10 for farmers markets in the country.

Ruth Daniels said...

It is really unique - great food (especially in the summer), musicians at every turn...a very social scene. You'll have to come for a visit.

maybelle's mom said...

Those mussels are amazing looking. Oh to be on the atlantic.