Monday, May 25, 2009

Blueberries + Chocolate Chips = Delicious

Since my last bit of "poetry" was such a hit....
"Good, better, best
Never let it rest
Until the good is better
And the better...has chocolate"
I really do try to cook and bake nutritious dishes, using local ingredients when I can, and opting for healthy grains rather than all purpose flour. And a number of my new cookbooks seem to focus on making healthier versions of the good old fashioned ones I grew up on.

Norene's Healthy Kitchen is one such book that I turn to often. I love her very easy, quick and delicious dishes and since I just got back from a fantastic weekend in Toronto spent with some other food bloggers from across the country (more about that in another post), I didn't have much on hand, nor much time to prepare something to munch on at my 9a.m. meeting.
And I HAD to make something...after all, food feeds the brain, doesn't it? And breakfast is the most important meal of the day, isn't it? And, my associate has come to expect it (as is her husband who will definitely be waiting for a care package). Start to finish, these tasty treats took less than 20 minutes.
Naturally, because delicious, is never delicious enough, and I always have to add more to a recipe...I added chocolate chips to Norene's Blueberry Corn Muffins and made...

I remember the days when using whole wheat flour was for those strange tofu-eating hippie types in Birkenstocks (no offense to tofu, Birkenstocks or hippies). Not today though. The only "flour" in this batter is cornmeal and whole wheat flour and they are simply delicious.

Another huge change in our eating is being able to find excellent frozen fruit, grown locally and flash frozen so it's tasty all year round...and mine come from The Annapolis Valley, just an hour or so from my door. That said, I can't wait to pick fresh blueberries later in the summer. I'm already envisioning the purple stains on fingers, lips and ... right...note to self...wear something old.

What's your locally grown favorite fruit? And how long are you going to have to wait for the real deal?

1 comment:

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Certainly a delicious combo! These muffins look yummy!

cheers,

Rosa