Thursday, October 18, 2007

Eating Healthy


Eating healthy is actually not very hard to do these days, especially if you have a copy of Norene Gilletz's latest cookbook - Norene's Healthy Kitchen. It's jam packed with more than 600 recipes that are quick and easy to prepare. And that's not even the best part.

She shares her "Chef's secrets" for many of the recipes. For instance, her recipe for No-Fry Almond Schnitzel (definitely on my menu soon!), suggests preparing several batches of the bread crumb mixture and storing it in the fridge or freezer for up to 6 months, and if you have nut allergies: "omit the almonds and use more Special K". And did you know that Special K has a lower glycemic index value than corn flakes? I didn't.

Most of the recipes have lots of variations. like the Grilled Moroccan Chicken Breasts..."instead of mint, use basil or parsley"; "instead of lemon juice, use orange, lime or pomegranate"... I can't wait to try that one, too.

This cookbook is like having your mom in the kitchen with you, making cooking easy. Norene has a whole chapter called "Things You Should Know". Did you know that you can substitute 1/4 cup mashed banana or soft tofu for 1 large egg in baking? Even if you are an experienced cook, there are tons of things to learn in this great book.

The hard part is choosing your first recipe. I've got a ton dog eared but it is pumpkin season and I thought I'd start with some of her muffins. You can see that I've already started to mark my copy up.

The Pumpkin Cranberry Muffins were delicious. She says they freeze well for up to 3 months, but they didn't last 2 days on my counter!

Related Links:

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth,

Thanks for the amazing review of NORENE'S HEALTHY KITCHEN on your blog! Glad you enjoyed my recipe for the pumpkin muffins - you'll have to make a double batch next time to see how long they actually can last!

Norene Gilletz, Cookbook Author
www.gourmania.com
My world revolves around recipes!

Jim said...

What a promising cookbook! I've talked about the need for simple, easy AND healthy food before, so this sounds right up my alley.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

Wow, not only are they healthy, but also scrumptious! Wonderful!
Do you think you can make those with fresh cranberries? I just bought a bag yesterday...

Cheers,

Rosa

Ruth Daniels said...

Rosa, I'm not sure.. I used dried, which are sweeter. You could go to www.gourmania.com and ask Norene herself. She's very approachable.

Anonymous said...

You can definitely use fresh cranberries. That's a berry good idea!

Norene Gilletz, Cookbook Author
www.gourmania.com
My world revolves around recipes!

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

NORENE and RUTH, thanks ever so much for the answer! I'm going to try that very soon :-D...

Cheers,

Rosa

KenG said...

At first the book seemed a little intimidating for a single guy learning his way around the kitchen. But it didn't take long to get into the book and realize what a gem it is. I love home cooked food not "fast food". The ingredient list looked long and Norene said calm down and get "one at a time". The instructions were easy to follow "one at a time". The storage notes are great. I am able to take time during the week to cook for the week. Lots of time to get out and still eat healthy. Thanks Norene.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ken,

You'll be an expert before you know it. Like my mom always says, "If you can read, you can cook!"

I'm glad that you feel more confident in the kitchen every day. Keep on cooking!

Norene Gilletz, Cookbook Author
www.gourmania.com
My world revolves around recipes!

Jo said...

Sounds like a great recipe book! Thank you very much for the review!