Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring Has Sprung, the Grass is Riz...

The latest Delicious Magazine (UK edition) is out with a glorious looking Chocolate Mousse Cake replete with edible daisies on the cover. Actually, May's issue is already available on line and it looks awesome...especially for us Pasta lovers...it's all about Italy. Remember that Hillary of Chew on That will be hosting Presto Pasta Nights this week. You can send your goodies to her at chewonthatblog(at) gmail (dot) com with a cc to me: ruth (at) 4everykitchen (dot) com

But I digress...as usual. April's issue has some fantastic recipes, including the mousse cake that I will be making, along with some great lamb dishes and a few interesting curries, just to name a few....lots of pages are bookmarked.

The real reason for this post however is about the article on "Grow it, Pick it, Cook it." It has lots of excellent tips on planting your own herb and vegetable garden.

This is one of those rare times that I recognize the one drawback to living where we do. I've shared how awesome the neighborhood is. ...cool foodie friendly shops and restaurants, a view of the harbor and passing ships, O Canada played every morning at 8:00AM sharp from the naval base across the street, squealing children having fun at the primary school next door, beautiful renovated building that once was a convent. Heaven, with the exception of no balconies, no yard and thus, no opportunity to plant a garden...even potted, although I do have some herbs in the window.

Perhaps I'll look into community gardening. I know last year Hellman's (yes of the mayonnaise people) created several around town and their site gives lots of tips for growing your own food.

So my question to you all is...do you have a garden where you live, do you plant in a community garden, or are you like me and live vicariously through others and shop for locally grown food at the market?

1 comment:

pam said...

I can only get this magazine at a Barnes and Nobles on the other side of town. Darn.