Thursday, February 12, 2009

Another Two Pasta Day



Yesterday I was flipping through one of my favorite cookbooks ( I say that a lot, I know- I love them all), Faye Levy's latest Healthy Cooking for the Jewish Home. You don't have to be Jewish to enjoy these recipes, I assure you. I was looking for a soup recipe, something different to add to our winter repertoire (I finally have my Honey enjoying soup) and came across this one that sounded interesting ... and Presto Pasta Night friendly too.


It's very easy to make - five minutes of work, 30-40 minutes of smelling the wonderful aroma of cumin and turmeric doing their work. Thick and smooth with a glorious kick from the cayenne pepper you see sprinkled on top. It's perfect for the weather.

And then I discovered this recipe that intrigued me....

Persian Saffron Spiced Yellow Split Pea Pasta

First, let me say, although the name here doesn't, this gorgeous, vibrant orange pasta dish has a healthy dose of ground lamb. That's what really caught my attention. That and the cinnamon and saffron threads. I love spaghetti and meat sauce....Bucatini Bolognese with lots of mushrooms and big fat noodles, or the two different ones in my own cookbook - one from Grandma Hazel and the other from Grandma Dolly - both delicious and yet a little different.

No matter where or when I've eaten spaghetti with meat sauce - it's always been red and I always sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and red chili pepper flakes. This one is unique and I guarantee it will surprise you. First and foremost...it's golden orangey yellow in color, second it's sweet and definitely Middle Eastern in flavor. The cinnamon and saffron delicately transport you there.

Don't forget...you still have some time to send me your pasta recipe for the big Presto Pasta Night #100 that I'll be posting tomorrow. Thanks to those of you who've already sent in your fantastic dishes. It's certainly going to be a spectacular event!

3 comments:

Joanne said...

I love cinnamon in just about everything and so this will definitely be going on my ever-growing list of recipes that I will someday/maybe/hopefully get around to making.

Dharm said...

Ruth,
I sent in an entry and hope you got it since my internet connection has been playing havoc. I sent it from a gmail account to your 4everykitchen... Congrats on 100 PPN!!!

Dharm

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Woah Ruth. Congratulations on such a wonderful turnout. I stuffed myself to the gills with pasta!!!