Monday, October 27, 2008

My Love Affair with Frittatas

There is nothing like a frittata on a lazy Sunday morning...perfect for a brunch or a breakfast for two (or one, for that matter). They are the perfect foil for leftovers...take yesterday, for example.

Saturday night we had friends for dinner and I made Maple Bourbon Roasted Salmon with Roasted Smashed Potatoes and Greens Catalan-Style. Dinner was delicious, but naturally there were left-overs. Even as I was putting them away, I let my mind make the choices of which ones to use for a Sunday frittata. Somehow, I had the Spain - On the Road Again show stuck in my mind and decided that including Portugal was okay too. Hey, it's my kitchen and I can do as I wish. To say nothing about the fact that my Honey loves my concoctions!

But I digress...yesterday's frittata used up the smashed potatoes and some of the greens. I thought it would be perfect with some cured Chorizo sausage and the whole thing sprinkled with grated Asiago and dusted with Smoked Paprika (or Pimenton, as the Spanish call it, to compensate for bringing Portugal to the table).

And don't you think a lovely maple salmon and caramelized leek frittata would be a wonderful mid-week supper served with a salad? I do!

I've even used left over pasta (my other weakness) for my frittatas...excellent always! If you check here, you can find lots of frittata options.

And speaking of pasta....Don't forget that this week's Presto Pasta Night is being hosted by Melissa, The Cooking Diva. Send your entries to cookingdiva AT gmail DOT com.

11 comments:

Patsyk said...

I love frittatas, too! It's so nice to throw in whatever you happen to have on hand.

Anonymous said...

And believe me, this woman makes a mean frittata. I've sampled many.

Anonymous said...

Ooops. "Anonymous" was your daughter, Sharron actually.

Ruth Daniels said...

Patsyk, the only other thing that dresses up left overs so well is pasta...naturally!

Anonymous...I mean Sharron...I'll do anything to entice you back here.

Fitness Foodie said...

I love frittatas also. I love making them during the week for dinner, and usually the leftovers keep well for lunch. Salmon in it would be a treat.

Michele said...

Frittatas are the best way to use up leftovers! With the leftovers that you used I bet your frittata was divine. :-)

Ruth Daniels said...

Parker, I only make frittatas for supper when my Honey isn't home...he thinks of them as breakfast/brunch/lunch food. Oh well!

Michele, they are perfect for leftovers and what I love is the fact that no two frittatas are ever the same.

Unknown said...

I finally submitted to Presto Pasta! I love frittatas. And pasta in fritattas is truly decadent :)

Ruth Daniels said...

City Girl...yes it is, especially when it's your cowboy pasta that's involved.

chemcookit said...

Eheh! I just made a pasta frittata last night and took a picture in view of writing about it.. I love frittatas with leftovers, too.

When you have time, check on my blog -there's something for you!

Anonymous said...

I have never had the pleasure of eating one of these going to have to try it out.