Thursday, September 11, 2008

Lobster Dinner at Home

My brother-in-law is visiting from Toronto, so we're naturally doing some touristy things...time checking out the Halifax harbour, heading out to Peggy's Cove and the rest of the lovely Lighthouse Route. We've taken many a visitor on these journeys in the past year and we love doing it. But this is the first time we actually cooked lobster at home. And it was absolutely spectacular.

This is just a short post...because we're heading out to take advantage of a gorgeous day, but I had to share. We bought our lobsters at the massive Clearwater store along the Bedford Basin. So many lobster options...soft shell (with lower percentage of meat), some perfect for canning, to the hard shell variety. Guess which route we chose....no contest....2 lively 1 1/2 lb hard shell primo lobsters went into the bag and we headed home.

I finally got to use the huge pot I bought last summer specifically for this purpose (although it will be used for making large batches of soups, sauces and stews for the freezer...but I digress. And naturally the menfolk reminded me of Woody Allen in the movie Annie Hall, so I had to do the handling.

Here's Clearwater's own recipe for Boiled Lobster and while you're there, check out the other great recipes. My Honey wouldn't let me post the photo of empty shells, so you'll have to trust me when I say there was nothing left. The lobsters were sweet and juicy and the best I've ever eaten. And, by the way...Clearwater has an online store and ships anywhere, so you don't have to live in Halifax to enjoy some of our local lobsters.

The picture of me in my lobster bib is still on my brother-in-law's camera and we're off to explore....see you all tomorrow for the Presto Pasta Night Roundup.

4 comments:

maybelles mom said...

Oh, to live on the sea...

Ruth Daniels said...

No doubt about it! Today we took my brother-in-law for a drive along the Atlantic Ocean and had lunch at Lunenburg...less than 90 minutes on the highway...3 hours with stops at Peggy's Cove and Mahone Bay and beaches along the way. And lunch was awesome...scallops from the local catch taken off the fishing boat at 4 AM this morning! Talk about fresh!

So So Simple said...

I love your easy access to Lobsters. Crayfish, our version, have become so expensive here now, unless you are catching your own, you need to take out a mortgage to buy them. So disappointing. So my mouth waters when I read your posts Ruth.
Cheers

Ruth Daniels said...

Frankly, lobsters are expensive here too. The 2 lobsters (1.5lb/680g each) cost $36.00...that's $18 each. Not bad when you consider restaurants are charging anywhere from $25-35/lb .

Just saying...I won't be cooking them very often.