Friday, September 19, 2008

Cabaret Brewed Chocolate

A while a go I was lucky enough to get a jar of Cabaret Brewed Chocolate to sample and somehow summer got in the way and I never did write about it. First, I must tell you that brewed chocolate has a very unique flavor...not what I was expecting, which was...well...dark chocolate in the vein of chocolate drinks I've had, but better.

I was very surprised at how sweet it is and tastes almost like peanut brittle without the peanuts...an almost burnt flavor of the hardened sugar. Raw cacao beans are brewed the way one would brew coffee, but much longer and slower. It takes a pound of beans for a little 6oz jar. Then the brew is sweetened with organic cane sugar.

As for the health factor...everyone these days is talking about chocolate being one of the superfoods...high in antioxidants, but high in fat content. By brewing the raw beans, it's low in fat and an additional benefit is that it's low in caffeine. You can read more about the benefits on their site, but if you've been here before you know I'm more about the taste.

I tried it several different ways...including straight off the spoon and here's my take

Simply brewed as an alternative to coffee...since I take my coffee strong and black, it was a little too sweet for me. On the other hand, my daughter and son-in-law who add at least 2 tsp of sugar and cream to theirs, loved the sweetness.

I thought I'd try it iced, because I do add sugar and cream to that. I liked that better, but my favorite way...

...think chocolate fondue...just a drizzle over sliced fruit (it is tangy apple season here). You can find out more about it here. Be foretold...currently they only sell in the U.S.

1 comment:

Patsyk said...

I've seen quite a few people testing out this product lately. Sounds like a winner from what everyone is saying.