Monday, June 23, 2008

Replenishing the Pesto Larder

Hard as it is to believe...my pesto larder is depleted! And given last week's Presto Pasta Night Roundup with SEVEN different variations, I had to make a few different batches to keep on hand.

There is nothing on earth easier to transform pasta or scrambled eggs & frittatas, even rice or spread on home-made bread (or store bought for that matter) into an incredible feast than an interesting pesto.

One of my challenges in Halifax over the very, very, very long winter, was finding big bunches of fresh basil that actually wasn't wilty or brown. (This photo, by the way, was taken at the St Lawrence Market, Toronto, this past December - and check out the price...more than enough for two batches of pesto needing 2 cups of basil leaves!... and the photo at the top, was purchased the spring before we moved here at the corner fruit and vegetable store near our home). But winter's over and I have found some basil, so I'll stop complaining now.

Given that I was going to be having a "flexible" lunch yesterday, I knew I wanted to have a variety so that everyone could spread some pesto on the yummy breads. It's great with a slice of cheese on top.

Here's yesterday's batch...


My own Basil Pesto

Both of Avra of I've Got Food On My Brain's Sundried Tomato with Sunflower Seeds and her Cilantro with Sesame Seeds & Lime...very yummy and will make great "sauces" for my pizzas and wraps.

Plus the Basil Pecan Pesto I found in Grilled Pizzas & Piadinas, I still have on hand.

The one I ran out of time for, yesterday, but will be making today because it really is one of my all time favorites is Roasted Red Pepper Pesto from Food & Drink Magazine.

Don't forget this week's guest Presto Pasta Night's host: Hillary of Chew on That. Please email your entries to her directly at chewonthatblog AT gmail DOT com

Plus...Don't forget to check all the Presto Pasta Night Roundups dating back to March, 2007, see who's hosting for the next four weeks and check out guidelines and tips for entering and hosting.

Over at Presto Pasta Nights there are also pasta-related posts that I hope you like.

If you're a Facebook member, please visit the Presto Pasta Gang on Facebook.

And, of course, a very big thank you to all of you for playing along and visiting every week!!! I can always count on you to make it special.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I find Pete's usually has good basil year round.

Anonymous said...

Nice variations of pesto! I can't wait to post the roundup on Friday :)

Avra said...

Hey Ruth, glad you like the pestos! I'm still here and hoping that I'll get my latest pasta creation posted in time for PPN this week...it's been too long!

Ruth Daniels said...

Pete does have pretty good basil,but somehow doesn't last as long as what I used to buy in Toronto in the middle of winter...okay, I'll stop whining now.

Pestos are probably the most important things in my fridge. When I have no idea what to make...add pesto and there's an awesome meal...scrambles, pastas, marinades for fish or chicken and then pop on the grill, slather instead of mustard or mayo for wraps and turn plain into fantastic.

Avra, I'm waiting with bells on!