Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Soft Shell Crab Pasta or Spicy Crab Spaghetti

For all of you out there who love Spring because it's time for soft shell crabs....you have to check out Mark Bittman's NY Times recipe (and video) for Soft Shell Crabs & Pasta. Then you have to invite me over, because there's no way my Honey will eat it.

On the other hand...crab meat without the shells is fair game around here...and so my little story before sharing the absolutely, positively best pasta I've had in a while. And lets face it...who has more pasta than I do - probably no one.

When this month's
Gourmet Magazine came out (back in April), I saw this recipe for pasta with crab meat and preserved lemons....sounded lovely and so I went hunting for preserved lemons in all the usual places....nothing. So I decided to make my own, but I didn't have the right jar (I think about making preserves all the time, but never do)...which means another expedition to find the right size jar with a screw top lid.

Making Preserved Lemons isn't difficult...it just takes time for the lemons to actually "preserve" which takes about 5 days on the counter and then some time in the fridge to really get them ready. And don't forget to rinse them off really well adding to a dish.

Finally, I could actually make the dish that was forever in my head....

Spicy Crab Spaghetti with Preserved Lemons

...and all I can say is... you HAVE to, HAVE to try it! Oh...and the actual cooking time, once you finish dragging your feet and have some preserved lemons...only as long as it takes to cook the pasta.

Naturally I have to share this will all my Presto Pasta Night friends. Hope you plan on sharing one of your favorite pastas with us too.

2 comments:

Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I actually made preserved lemons..yay me. Now I am ready for this dish Ruth:D

Ruth Daniels said...

It is awesome...and now I'm hunting for more preserved lemon recipes...got any in mind?