Friday, April 11, 2008

Passover Menus


In the past I've been so preoccupied with finding recipes and cooking for holiday meals that I've typically posted AFTER the do! How helpful is that - not very, if you're looking for something new to add to your table.

So this year I'm trying to be more helpful and share some dishes that have graced our Passover Seders over the years (with some dishes that will continue to do so this year).

You can check out all the dishes at last year's seder and this menu from the one we had the year before. And, in case you're having overnight guests, here's a fantastic brunch menu

And here are some stars that will definitely hit this year's table...



Chicken Soup with Matzo Balls



Gefilte Fish (this year is special - I actually will make my own) served on Springtime Green Salad with Asparagus & Sugar Snap Peas

Joanna's Stuffed Leg of Lamb (if she doesn't make this there will be a riot at the table). Hopefully this year I'll actually get the recipe for the stuffing and a good picture to share....don't hold your breath though, she usually makes this sort of timed to be ready when we actually start to eat. Here's a recipe for Garlic & Rosemary Studded Roast Leg of Lamb...it's her starting point.


Spicy Farfel & Pistachio Stuffed Chicken Thighs

Gingery Carrots and perhaps potato kugel, or some variation, and naturally some green veggie, depending on what looks great at the market.

Next week I'll be making desserts...another first for me. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

Peter M said...

Interesting how Jewish and Christian holidays still parallel each other. More in common that we think.

Have a most spiritual Passover.

Anonymous said...

Oh, My!! That food looks so good, I think I'll take a bus to Nova Scotia and show up at your door! Would a dyed-in-the-wool Catholic be welcomed? As sad as it sounds, I had no idea gefilte fish wasn't a type of fish. So, what does gefilte mean, anyway? And those thighs? I mean, chicken thighs - oh, baby!

Have a great (is that what I should say?) Passover.

Mike

Ruth Daniels said...

Peter, thank you and I, too believe there are many religious parallels - with most organized religions. As for spiritual - it certainly will be, in particular because working in the kitchen with my daughter, seeing everyone at our table - family and friends makes everything right with the world.

Mikey...the door is open! as for gefilte - I believe it just means ground. And I personally just say Happy Passover.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! What a beautiful spread. Your table of delicious foods is an inspiration.

Ruth Daniels said...

Thanks and today, I'm taking a bunch of my Jewish cookbooks over to my daughter's to finalize this year's menu. I'll keep you all posted.

Unknown said...

yummm..stuffed chicken thighs! i'd love some of that! :)