Monday, April 17, 2006

Weekend Cookbook Challenge - Passover Brunch

It's time for one of my favorite blogging events - the Weekend Cookbook Challenge and this week's challenge is for an Easter Brunch. Well being Jewish, and it being Passover, I thought I'd share what we had at my daughter's in Halifax this weekend.

My intention was to provide recipes from the different cookbooks we used, but unfortunately I didn't write them down, thinking I had copies of all of them back here at home. I do have the one for Spinach Cheese Squares from The Gefilte Variations which has some very interesting recipes from around the world.

This tasty Crustless Broccoli Quiche was inspired by Kosher Palette. We used the broccoli we forgot to serve for our Thursday night Passover Seder Feast. No recipe, though since I don't have the book (obviously one I'll have to buy for myself - I suppose I could just ask my daughter for the recipe....probably will just buy one for me anyway since there were lots of tasty looking treats).

This carrot salad recipe was from Faye Levy's International Jewish Cookbook. It was nice, but we had to jazz it up a bit with fresh cilantro/coriander.

Naturally we didn't think that was enough variety, so we also had some Orange Chipotle Salmon that I had whipped up and shared here last week.

The Mesclun Salad with Strawberries, Grapes and Balsamic Vinaigrette was such a hit on Thursday (plus I didn't even get a taste of it) and most people at the brunch had missed out on the Seder that we decided to include it.


And in case that wasn't enough, we made a fruit salad of melon, strawberries and mint with a splash of Manischevitz sweet red wine (think Port) and orange juice.

Over the next few days, I'll be sharing recipes for some of these dishes and the ones from the Seder feast on Thursday.... so, as they say down south " y'all come on back now"

Related links:

2 comments:

Sara said...

what a spread ruth! feel free to come cook for me in calgary anytime.

Ruth Daniels said...

Sara (my middle name, btw) I'd love to cook for you - little long on the delivery time from Toronto though. Thanks for dropping by.