Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Great Birthday Gift

First I have to say how lucky I am...great husband, fabulous daughters, cool son-in-law and a most delicious grandson. But if you've been here before, you probably know that. So what more could a girl ask for...nothing really, but the kids found a fantastic birthday present for me...one year subscription to fineCooking Magazine one of my favorite magazines.

And after leafing through this month's issue I had to combine two recipes, because I am nothing if not one who always needs to add more. One recipe was for pasta with spinach and garlic and the other was garlicky shrimp and basil appetizer. How could I resist combining my favorite ingredients...shrimp...garlic...spinach...more garlic...and because they didn't mention any, but it's my other fave food...mushrooms.

Multigrain Fusilli with Garlicky Shrimp, Spinach & Mushrooms

Seriously, doesn't it look delicious? It certainly tasted great. So my question to you is this...when you look at magazines or recipes in cookbooks, do you use them as an inspiration point or do you follow them religiously? Plus I actually have two pasta dishes this week for Presto Pasta Night. Don't forget to share your dish with the rest of us.

3 comments:

daphne said...

oo.. lucky u!! mag sub!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth,
Wow, yes, very lucky! And I love that mag, too :) .

Re: recipes, I tend to follow the recipe the first time round (unless there's something glaring that I know I'll want to change--eg., an ingredient I hate, etc.), and then fiddle with it after that. Sometimes I find inspiration in recipes I know I DON'T want to make, so I just take what I like from them and develop my own adaptation before even trying them. I guess it depends on the recipe!

Gattina Cheung said...

Ruth, what a wonderful birthday gift! You are so wonderful to share this joy with us! Oh boy, seem that I can smell that delicious garlic-y aroma from here!