Thursday, October 4, 2007

Perfect Stew for a Fall Day

Well it WAS a perfect Fall day when I thought of making this delicious Moroccan-style stew. Of course, by the time dinner rolled around it was more like summer. SIGH! One day I will get the hang of Halifax weather. I used to worry about dressing appropriately for the season. Now it seems I have to pay attention on my meal planning. By the way...tonight we're having a very summery Salade Nicoise. Hey, if you can't beat them, join them.

But let me share a great stew recipe. I tore it out of some magazine. Unfortunately, I'm not sure which one and I did make a few modifications to make it sort of my own. I usually mention where I got my inspiration, so if anyone out there recognizes it...let me know and I will give credit where credit is due.

Naturally, I did a little tweeking....I used canned chickpeas instead of dried and canned San Marzano tomates instead of fresh, and chicken broth instead of vegetable stock. And speaking of vegetable stock, let me digress a moment and go back in time a couple of years....

I wrote a post sharing a great dish of Adzuki Bean Stew made even better with some Roasted Vegetable Stock from Fresh - Juice for Life - a great Toronto Vegetarian Restaurant and a lovely cookbook called Fresh At Home. I wish I had some in my freezer for this dish....


Any day now, I'll buy a new stock pot (the old one was left back in Toronto) and fill my freezer with homemade stocks and sauces....but not today. Today I used Campbell's Chicken Broth and I'm okay with it.

One other good thing about this very mellow stew with its subtle combinations of spices and herbs and its secret sweetness - chopped dates....it's got orzo so it qualifies for Presto Pasta Night. You still have time to join the party and bring your own special pasta dish.


Related Links:

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious Ruth! And thanks, like always, for participating in the Monthly Mouthful :)

Nora B. said...

That is a perfect stew for fall.

p/s; I managed to submit something for PPN this week. yay!

KayKat said...

I've never used orzo in a middle eastern stew before. That's a great idea!

Ruth Daniels said...

HIllary, thanks and I love the Monthly Mouthful. It makes me realize just how much I love...EVERYTHING!!!

Nora, thanks and I love your pasta dish..pesto/pistou is always in my fridge.

Kaykat, it was delightful and thanks for joining PPN.

test it comm said...

This sounds like a pretty hearty and tasty stew.

Ramona said...

The stew looks so comforting and warm. When the temperatures go back down below 80 degrees here, that would be a lovely recipe to make.