Sunday, September 23, 2007

British Food for British Food Week

There's a great blogging event that I could not resist. Even though I've been too busy with my own traditional celebration, I had to figure out something to contribute. What is the event...

It's British Food Fortnight and no...I'm not British and the last time I was in Britain it was a whirlwind trip to London about 8 years ago. But when I read about this event hosted by Helen at Fuss Free Flavors, I was immediately taken back to the very first time I was in London more than 20 years ago, backpacking (well we had a suitcase, actually) through Europe with my sister. It was also the first exposure I had to Indian food - a love affair that continues to this day. Way before you could find a decent Indian restaurant in Montreal (where I'm originally from), in London it seemed that every other restaurant had fantastic Indian fare. So when I think British, I don't think roast beef and Yorkshire pudding or even fish and chips. I think Indian....

I've been too busy settling in to our new city and trying to find my daily routine to come up with a specific Indian dish for the event, but now I'm inspired. And the least I can do is share an Indian Feast I did when we were back in Toronto....
for the entire menu, but a couple of dishes....

Not so pretty here, but my favorite dish...Butter Chicken or Makkani Murghi

and Saag Paneer, another favorite of mine.

Now I just have to find a shop that sells Indian ingredients so I can recreate it here in Halifax. I know the family here would really enjoy it. So thanks, Helen for thinking of me for British Food Fortnight. I can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with.

Related Links:

No comments: